Newbie mac - External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by africano, Jan 10, 2012.

1. africano macrumors member

Hi guys Im new! I want to put a folder from my macbook pro to my external HD so I can put that folder on my pc. It just contains images I need to work on on my pc.

It doesnt let me copy and past the folder to my external HD....or anything else for that matter, whats going on?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
    • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
      [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
      [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    • Maximum file size: 8EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
    • You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

3. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Having just encountered a similar problem recently, I highly recommend Paragon. Easy to install, nothing to mess with, does require a reboot, but once thats done, connect your external hard drive and you read & write.

Although, be careful with disconnecting your externals from Windows PCs. If your Mac doesn't recognise the drive, it will be there, but you will need to run a "Verify & Repair" in Disk Utility. But if you safely remove your hardware each time, you won't have that fuss.

4. burningteufel macrumors newbie

burningteufel

Assuming your HD is formatted NTFS, you can use "Macfuse" and "ntfs-3g" to obtain free read/write support on it from MacOS. It works like a charm ;) I got an external HD, formatted it to NTFS with gparted and currently using it for backups :)

5. africano thread starter macrumors member

Im sorry but I dont understand. I dont want to format my External HDD as its full of stuff.

Whats the easiest way of making it work on both my pc and my mac.

I can see the drive on my mac, just cant copy things on it.

thanks!

6. simsaladimbamba

As it is probably using NTFS as format, you haven't told us yet, though I asked, you need to use some of the software linked to in the above guide about file systems, four are listed under the NTFS section. Maybe read that section and do the steps accordingly.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of similar threads:
    [​IMG]

7. africano thread starter macrumors member

yes my system is NTFS.....Im still totally lost, Ive read the info and links....very confusing....I just want to be able to use my eternal HD on both my mac and windows pc......I dont want to reformat my HD cause its full of stuff and dont want to delete it!

Please can some one just break it down and give me a simple solution?

Do I have to buy a program? which one?

thanks!

8. simsaladimbamba

Since the external HDD is using NTFS and you don't want to format it (exFAT would be a proper format without the need of software), you are left with the software listed here, if you want to write to the NTFS formatted HDD (which is an excerpt from the already posted file systems FAQ):

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

Many have had good experiences with the free NTFS-3G drivers, but again, it is up to you, what you want to download or purchase.

Was that understandable?