NEWBIE...Mac Pro won't load OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quinngs, Aug 5, 2009.

1. quinngs macrumors newbie

I have recently aquired a Mac Pro G5 Dual 2.0 GHz with 2 GB ram from a friend of mine who upgraded. He wiped the drive before selling it to me and told me that I could get software for it from EBAY (thought he still had disc when he wiped the drive). I am new to Mac and before ordering I ask the seller if this would work on my machine and they said yes it was the right software, now I have tried on several occasions to load and it boots up (me holding C down) to the loading software screen and ask me the language to install, once I answer that it pops up Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix this issue. This software cannot be installed on this machine

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Is it an actual Leopard disc or a system restore disc. The system restore discs have the style of the computer imprinted on them (Mac Pro, MacBook, etc). If it is a system restore disc it won't work.

3. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I hope you bought the computer really cheap!

4. quinngs thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmmmm... I will have to check, but I think it might be a restore disc. YEP just checked my ebay and it was a restore disc, so I need the actual full install leopard??

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Or you could just ask your friend for his Restore DVDs that came with the Power Mac G5 (not Mac Pro) s/he sold you.

S/He still may have them, as they were probably used to wipe the Power Mac. But s/he could have also used a regular Installation DVD.

7. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Or you could just go buy a real copy of Leopard...

8. quinngs thread starter macrumors newbie

I have asked and he does not have the restore cd's. He is using the old drive in his upgrade (160GB) and just put a used one in here when it was sold to me. Only gave him $75.00 for it and have seen them on Ebay for alot more so think I got an okay deal, now just have to get software for it. I have found a couple of full versions on ebay that I am going to bid on. Thanks for all your help with this.

9. goMac macrumors 603

Just to be clear here...

The G5 is called a Power Mac, not a Mac Pro, so you need either Power Mac restore disks, or a full retail Leopard disk.

A restore disk labeled "Mac Pro" won't work.

10. Trev311 macrumors member

I'll say that is some deal! Be careful on Ebay for software. I know others have had success in using it, but I am just a wary person I suppose. You do also realize that when Snow Leopard comes out next month you won't be able to use it right? (I only ask because you called your G5 a Mac Pro).