Newbie Mac User. iMac justs shuts down or freezes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sincityharley, Aug 21, 2012.

1. sincityharley macrumors newbie

So Im a windows user from way back just recently jumping into the mac experience. I have an intel iMac with 10.6.8 installed. Every once in awhile my mac will just freeze with no warning. At that point Im unable to ctrl-tab or cmd-esc or any of the other many hot keys that i've read up on. The only option is hard reboot. I can still see the application that I was working on still on the screen but its completely unresponsive. Today though my iMac went a step further and just booted itself completely. I am maxed at 2gb of ram and its a fairly clean install. I try not to open to many applications at the same time. In windows I know that I can see the crash reports and get some hint as to why my win machine booted or crashed. Is there any similar utility on my imac or that I could install? Thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Check the Console for hints.

As for Force Quitting (like CRTL+ALT+DEL in Windows), try CMD+OPTION/Alt+ESC).

And what exact iMac do you have?

To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It would be helpful if you let us in on what application(s) you were using when it froze.

4. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

None of these work as I indicated. I have tried all of them multiple times

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
    Serial Number (system): XXXXXXXXXX
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000000

To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:

----------

This happens in all applications. Sometimes iTunes, sometimes spotify, sometimes sparrow, sometimes chrome while watching a video on youtube. Again I try not to open too many applications at once

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Holy toledo.. a 2006.

Do you have the system recovery disk, or an OS X CD/DVD? If so, you should boot off that and run Disk Utility. Your HDD may be failing.

To boot off the CD, insert the CD, then reboot. After initial chime, hold down the C button on the keyboard.

6. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont have either but I do have a USB key that I made from the OSX DVD. Can I use that for the same purpose of running Disk Util?

By the way 2006 was a great year for red wine and Ford Mustangs. So why not an iMac?

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Stick the USB key in, reboot, and hold down Option after the first chime. If it's bootable and your Mac supports booting off it, you'll see it. Otherwise you'll need to burn it back onto a DVD.

2006 was actually a very good year for iMacs. The first Intel models. The trouble is, the insides are now 6 years old, and age has essentially the opposite effect on computers that it has on wine. Usually the HDD is the first to go.

8. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything checks out fine. So back to my original question. Is there any way to see a crash log or error stats?

9. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked post #2 and the first five words yet?

10. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you referring the one where I answer in post #4

----------

Just saw your link. Thats exactly what Im looking for and its called "Console". Thanks!

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Looked like you were answering the CMD-OPT-ESC not working, but you didn't report back on what the Console said.

12. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what I was replying in regards to. Somehow missed your link the first time around. Console says a lot. Im going to need some time to go thorugh it all. One item that has me confused was little snitch calling up "unlockFocus called too many time". Does this mean anything to anyone?

13. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what console said. See line 9. Any thing look out of the ordinary?

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=cupwwPxM

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Lines 3 & 46 look more interesting. It still looks like file system corruption. Do you have a sufficient backup such that you can do a clean install off your USB key?

15. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

I sure do. Is it really that time? Is that the best fix at this point? 3 and 56 btw are both relating to uTorrent. Im going to start with an uninstall and see what happens. Will report back

16. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I feel like uTorrent is just reporting the symptom of the overall problem. You might be able to fix it more permanently just by deleting and recreating the Downloads folder. But if you've never done a clean reinstall, it might be about time. That would be a lot of OS X patches on top of each other, starting from.. hmm.. Tiger?

17. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

ill try the downloads recreate. Since I've owned the iMac I've upgraded the HD to a 500Gb and the only OS to ever be installed was a clean install of Snow Leopard about 6 months ago

18. drstein13 macrumors newbie

19. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually does this make sense a little? If the stock iMac came with a 150GB HD and I put in a larger and faster 500 GB HD. Would/could the new HD be producing more heat and throwing the cooling balance out of whack? Or am I reaching?

20. JnDRader macrumors regular

Possibility but not likely IMO. Have you done a verify permissions on your disk? That fixed some hangup and slow down problems for me on my 2008 iMac. Well, once I ran the repair procedure anyway :).

21. sincityharley thread starter macrumors newbie