Newbie: Macbook Pro 13 problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strikerba, Jan 16, 2013.

1. strikerba, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

strikerba macrumors newbie

First of all hi to you guys (and gals :) ) I've been reading MacRumors for quite some time now (mostly for iPhone problems) from 2g to 4s. Managed to find solutions for all of my problems, but for this one i found no solution :(

I know i'm not the only one, and there are couple of dozen of problems like mine but, here goes. I bought MBP 13" mid 2010. The "master" aka previous owner tried to fix the headphone jack and managed to mess up the LVDS cable and connector. He broke that top piece (used to lock the cable)

[​IMG]

top metal piece

and two pins on LVDS cable. And long story short, screen is black (no picture, no backlight) and that's normal.

I've ordered LVDS cable to change it, and i'm asking you now, is there any contact at that top metal part (is it vital for connection) and if so, is it changeable ?

To mention that the MBP works perfectly on external display, so i'ts not logic board or graphics.

Thanx in advance, i'll bite my nails while waiting for the LVDS cable.

2. strikerba thread starter macrumors newbie

3. DarrenG macrumors regular

I'd you've ordered a new cable then it will come with the lock tab so I don't understand the question?

4. strikerba thread starter macrumors newbie

As you can see, i'm missing little metal plate on LVDS connector (on logic board) and i was just asking if it is using that metal plate for connection or just for latching the LVDS cable to connector (i hope i was clear with my explanation :confused:)

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

From what it looks like to me, but it's hard to tell is that the logic board connector itself looks partially broken. If that's so, hope you got this machine really cheap.

6. strikerba thread starter macrumors newbie

The damage is purely cosmetic (as far as i can tell) no pin inside is broken, or missing. The top latch is broken too, but i can fix lvds cable with adhesive tape for electronics. Does anyone know the pinout for lvds cable. Someone told me that these two pins that are missing on cable are actually for ground and screen power, so that's the reason that it won't light up.