NEWBIE-Make a Terminal Script Run @ Login

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by jynxxd, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jynxxd, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

jynxxd macrumors newbie

jynxxd

OK, here's the deal:
    i have been Dabbling with Quartz Composer and figured out how to run a quartz screensaver as the background for the desktop- Thru a Terminal Sript. It will continue to run as long as i keep the terminal window open. I got the idea @ http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20020824082233907

HERE'S THE SCRIPT:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

Now the problem:
    I want to take it a step further by making the script open @ stratup/ Login. Then I won't have to open the the terminal and manually run the script EVERY TIME i have to login to my account on the computer

--Side Note:
    I have been thru several sites telling me to make a shell script, make an apple script, make a plist file, turn it into a .app file, etc.---
    ---Idon't have a clue what i'm doing with Applescript, Ligon, BBedit, or Terminal shell for that matter..

i have tried to understand how to make the text file a script file and i just don't get it---for lack of formal training

I like to figure things out and learn things myself, but THIS has me STUMPED!!

PLEASE HELP :eek:

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

Quick and dirty way would be to put that command in a shell script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

[edit] You can do that part in TextEdit; just select Format > Make Plain Text and save it WITHOUT an extension; none is needed.

In the terminal, make it executable:

Code:
    chmod +x <name of your script here>
    And add it to your startup items in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items. That should work as far as I know. Not rocket science either. ;)

3. jynxxd thread starter macrumors newbie

jynxxd

Werks like a CHARM!

\\thnx lpz//