Newbie needing help - iPhone 3GS Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Aylaviere, May 9, 2012.

1. Aylaviere macrumors newbie

Ok, so I'm really sorry because I'm trying to search through the forums for a solution (or to find out if there isn't a solution) but I'm just getting a bit confused.

I have an iPhone 3GS that has been unlocked/jailbroken (done by my ex around this time last year).
    It's currently on 4.1 with a baseband of 06.15.00. I'm finding having 4.1 is starting to limit apps available to me, and I'd also like some of the newer features.

I'm aware that there are some issues with the baseband and I've read that I'm basically screwed now and cannot update.

What I want to know: Is there an update out there for me without having to change the baseband? Alternatively, is there a way to restore my phone to factory settings?

I'd rather keep it jailbroken/unlocked but ultimately I just want a newer version.

Again, I'm a bit new at this, so I apologize if this has been answered a gazillion times but really appreciate any and all help you lovely, brilliant people can offer me.

2. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Unavailable at the moment

For now, you will have to stick your firmware. It is not jailbreakable at the moment. I will assume it will be jailbreakable and unlockable in the near future as the iPhone 3GS can be unlocked on almost any baseband. However, because you are currently running iOS4.1 and have not saved iOS5.1 nor iOS 5.0.1 SHSH blobs, you will need to wait until iOS5.1.1 has a jailbreak. As a word of warning though, the jailbreak that will come out will most likely be tethered. This means that you will have to connect it to the computer each time you reboot.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Get TinyUmbrella and start saving your hashes so as not to get stuck like this again.

4. b0bab0i macrumors regular

Open up Cydia and check what SHSH blobs you have saved, you may be able to upgrade and rejailbreak.

5. Aylaviere thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok after looking in Cydia, the top line shows SHSH: iOS 4.1, 4.3.5, 5.0.1 and 5.1

Does this help me at all?

6. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Really? This means an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1!

1) Download the firmware http://www.getios.com/
    2) Put your device into regular DFU mode by Holding down the Power and Home buttons while the device is connected to power for 10 seconds, then let go of the Power Button and hold for about 10 seconds. The screen should be black. Leave it connected and move on to step 3 (If you accidentally end up in recovery mode, hold down the home and power buttons until the Apple logo shows up, No data is lost!)
    3) Stitch the SHSH blobs onto the firmware. Redsn0w (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ scroll down to the second post) will do this for you.
    4) Put your iDevice into Pwned DFU mode using redsn0w
    5) Use iTunes and Restore.

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

You have 5.0.1 blobs! You can probably restore to that and use the untethered jailbreak!

(I had to delete my post. The previous poster had more accurate information)

Have fun on ios5!

8. Aylaviere thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are amazing/incredible/wonderful!

Thanks so much for this information. I won't have time to get around to it tonight, but I will attempt it tomorrow night, hopefully with no problems. If there are, well I'll be back then :D

9. Aylaviere thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your help guys, I updated my phone last night with minimal issues.

Only thing I noticed is when it first started up it kept disconnecting and reconnecting to the carrier and wi-fi. It sorted itself out, but I see it's done it a couple times since then (usually fixes itself fairly quickly). Any ideas as to what's caused this?

It's not really a pressing concern unless it disconnects permanently.

10. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

Quite honestly, I say this is a hardware issue. (Intermittent drops have nothing to do with software).

11. Aylaviere thread starter macrumors newbie

I would think so too except this only started after I just updated it. I've noticed now it does it whenever I use an app that uses location services (google maps, groupon etc). Ideas?

Edit: looks like other people have had the same issues and there might be a fix.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This might be due to the iPad baseband. If your location services work at all still, it'll be wonky in its function.

If you wouldn't mind, posting the fix when you find it would be great.

13. HipHopTrex macrumors member

I have a similar problem. I also have a 3GS running 6.15 I bought off ebay so I don't know what jailbreak it's using...

I'd like to know that, but more importantly is there ANYWAY I can get the iphone to be un-jailbroken, and just back to stock firmware. I'm not too big on jailbroken things aside from appleTV:)

14. b0bab0i macrumors regular

You can never go back to stock firmware with 6.15.00 baseband. Once you are on this BB, its stuck on it forever, unless you find a shop that will physically install a new BB chip and even then they may destroy the logic board in the process.

15. ricardo.newall macrumors newbie

Similar problems

My 3gs has a tethered jailbreak via redsnow; last weekend i was away and had to reboot and operate normally. i was prepared to lose all the cydia apps but the whole phone was very erratic with some functions such as safari just not working.
    Can I now just revert and do a tethered reboot with redsnow or will this cause some kind of conflict in the operating system? would i be better off reverting to factory settings via itunes even tho this will lose the cydia apps? very confused! hope i have explained properly.