Newbie needing help (poss unlocking/jailbreaking)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tdonnelly3, Sep 16, 2012.

1. tdonnelly3 macrumors newbie

Hi, looking for a little bit of help,

I currently have an iphone 4 and my girlfriend has a 3gs, i have preordered a 5 for friday and would like to know is it possible for me to back up my 4 using itunes and transfer/restore everything (texts and contacts included) on to the 5?

And will i be able to do the same to transfer everything from my girlfriends 3gs on to the 4?

The 4 is locked to three and she wants to use either a giffgaff or o2 sim, is it possible to unlock the phone for free or do i need to go down the jailbreak route? Can somebody point me in the direction of a jb tutorial? Am i correct in presuming that the jb would need to be done after transfering everything (if its possible to do that)

Hopefully this makes sense and somebody can help

Thanks

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well you cannot unlock the iPhone 4 through the old jailbreaking process. you will have to contact your carrier to get it unlocked (only free method) but there are some resellers that can unlock the 4 for you for a fee. in most cases you can backup your 3gs and then restore the 4 with that info depending on the firmware in both devices. you should be able to do this from the 4 to the 5 also. but you need to make sure all devices are on current firmware. apple has this thing about not letting you do this with older firmware.