Newbie needing the unlocking help - 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iFony83, May 1, 2010.

1. iFony83 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, bit of a newb here, I bought an iPhone 3GS on iDay, and now wanna sell it in anticipation of the 4gen, OK, so I knew 3.1.3 with Modem 5.12 can't be unlocked, so I've kept hitting ignore on upgrade from 3.1.2, so I have 3.1.2 with modem 5.11 on there, so I think it can be unlocked no problem. OK, so my question is: How can I restore and erase all my info while keeping 3.1.2 intact? Just hit option-restore? THen how to jb and unlock? Blackrain and then how to unlock? And the last question, isn't there a way to upgrade to 3.1.3 while keeping 5.11 intact? Superbowl Sunday something? Haha. Thanks guys!!!

2. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Make a custom 3.1.2, or 3.1.3 firmware with Pwnage Tool 3.1.4 or later, have the device Jailbroken, and since you said you bought it on iDay, which I'm assuming is June 19th 2009, then you should have the old bootrom. Click option and restore on a Mac, and select the custom firmware you made with Pwnage Tool, also remember to uncheck "Activate the phone" in the process of Pwnage Tool. If you're on a PC, hold shift and select restore and choose the custom firmware you made with Pwnage Tool. Open Cydia, Click manage, then sources, then click add and type http://blackra1n.com. Confirm it. Once you're done with that, search for blackSn0w, install it, confirm it, and exit Cydia. On your computer, open ebay.com, login with your ebay account. Click on sell an item, and blah blah blah.

3. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, so just search the net for a custom 3.1.3 and use Pwnage tool? That won't screw up my 5.11.07 modem firmware? And this custom firmware will jailbreak it? Thanks!

4. ILikeToJB macrumors member

No, don't search the net for a custom firmware. Thats illegal to distribute modified copyrighted firmware. Its not illegal if you make it from an unmodified copyrighted firmware, and use it for personal use. Which is why the Dev Team provides the tools, and not the custom firmware. Also the Pwnage Tool process can be different for everyone's needs. Get a copy of Pwnage Tool 3.1.5, and a copy of the unmodified 3.1.3 firmware for the 3GS. Open Pwnage Tool, and follow the processes. Pwnage Tool will tell you what to do.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sigh

Stay away from 3.1.3!!!!!! other wise you will have to wait for the Spirit exploit there is no jb or unlocjk for a 3gs using 3.1.3 right now. if you upgrade you are SOL!!!!!! also if you unlock it the phone is worth more money. stick with 3.1.2

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5527

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7449

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7425

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5900

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253

6. ILikeToJB macrumors member

We are talking about a custom 3.1.3, not a stock 3.1.3.

7. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is no way to unlock on 3.1.2 then upgrade? Alright, so what's the deal with this pwnage tool? Will that custom firmware erase and restore my phone too? So just a recap, grab an original 3.1.2 firmware, pwnage tool, make a custom jailbreak/firmware with pwnage tool, the option restore the phone, and I'll have a jailbroken phone with 3.1.2 and modem 5.11.07 I can then use CYdia to unlock with blackra1n? Thanks guys!!!

8. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, after a little research, I think I'll just stick with 3.1.2, blackra1n looks pretty easy, but two things scare me, first, will it also erase my phone or do I need to do an option-restore from a downloaded 3.1.2 first, erase it, then hit up blackra1n? Secondly, the iCLarified guide said something about not letting the battery drain? That seems nuts, what if the batt dies in shipping? Their screwed, any way to beat that? Thanks guys, sorry I'm so dumb. LOL

9. ILikeToJB macrumors member

Blackra1n will not erase your phone, and you don't need to restore, its a 30 second Jailbreak. And not letting your battery die is for users with the new bootrom, which you don't have. Because new bootrom users have a tethered Jailbreak, which requires a computer to turn it on, after you turn it off.

10. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I think I got it, I do need to restore since I want all my info deleted, so download a stock 3.1.2 firmware, option restore it, then hit up blackra1n for the 30 second jailbreak, finally go into cydia and and do hte unlock. Will that work? Thanks

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    Update to custom 3.1.3 made with pwnage.
    Then install blacksnow thru cydia.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5432
    After your update to custom 3.1.3 all your data and info from the phone will be gone and it will be pretty much empty. Make sure you dont select restore from backup. Setup as new.
    Since you have the old bootrom you wont have to worry about a tethered JB or your battery dieing and having to run a hack in order for it to boot up.

12. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, interesting. So if I use pwnage tool, which I've done quite abit with 2G phones in the past, then do a 3.1.3 and option restore? There is no way that will mess up my modem firmware from 5.11.07? Just want to make sure I get the unlock in there. THanks

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats correct.
    It will leave your baseband untouched.

14. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just screwed this up bigggg time. OK, so I download 3.1.2 and did an option-restore, no go since Apple now won't let you restore below 3.1.3 even if you had it previously. Then I did the other method, downloaded a 3.1.3 and used PwnageTool to make a custom firmware, following you alls methods and iClarified, then it told me to connect to USB, and it would put it in Recovery Mode, great, so it's now stuck in recovery mode, I hit option restore from the new custom firmware, then after about 5-10min it says error cannot restore, error 1604. I can't get this thing outta recovery, and I dont want to restore with a fresh 3.1.3 since I'll lose my modem firmware of 05.11.07. One question though, if this is my last option, (to do a clean APple restore of 3.1.3, can I revert to the old modem firmware of 05.11.07 since I have a launch phone??? Thanks

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No. You can't downgrade your baseband on a 3GS.

16. iFony83 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what can I do with this newly bricked phone? It won't come out of Recovery Mode.