newbie needs help w/ printing & safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kris1212, Oct 13, 2009.

1. kris1212 macrumors newbie

Philadelphia PA home of the Fightin' Phils!
    I just migrated from a pc to a mac (iMac9,1, Mac OS X 10.5.8) & am having a few problems, some basic & others not so much. Here are 2 that are plaguing me right now. The first is annoying; the second is A MAJOR PROBLEM.
    1) I can't figure out how to print a page from the web (like a screen shot or a download) in b&w and not in color. On the PC you can choose color options from the print menu; the print menu on the iMac doesn't have a button for that -- at least not that I've been able to locate. Minor problem.
    2) For some reason it takes FOREVER for the iMac to open web pages. I have tried using Firefox and Safari, and both take anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes to open even the biggest websites -- like Yahoo! & Google. It just took 4 minutes for Safari to open Yahoo!, then another 3 minutes to open the mailbox when I logged in. What is up with that? I will add that I am entering this question from my ancient Dell PC, which I still have not decomissioned. The PC is opening pages at its usual leisurely pace, but at its slowest it still only takes less than 30 seconds to navigate from one page to another. I have basically given up on using the iMac for internet until I get this figured out. So what am I doing wrong? Oh, I also called Comcast & they didn't see any problems on their side. At first I thought, "sure you don't..." but then when I tried using the PC and it worked fine, I had to accept that it's not Comcast's fault. It's definitely something with the iMac.
    Anybody?? Anybody??

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

1) It may depend on the printer you're using. With mine, there is a dropdown in the print dialog box that says Safari. Within that, I can choose Print Settings, and print in black only. Thanks for asking! I never had gone looking for that before.

2)Do a search on the forums here. This topic has come up before, and there are probably several tips that might help you.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If when you print you get a small dialog box with a button that has a triangle in it, press that button. That should expand the dialog giving you all the options. The option you are looking for is under Print Settings. When you get everything as you like, go to Presets and save it.

You can also select Customize Toolbar under the View Menu and add a Print button to your toolbar. Best wishes.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you have a color inkjet printer, depending on the printer, when you print b&w you might still using color ink.