Newbie needs help with G5 please

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomyg, Aug 8, 2014.

1. tomyg macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum so any assistance most appreciated.

I've just bought an old G5 Quad off E-bay. Obviously its a few years old but very highly spec'd. I want to use it as a standalone DAW for music production based on Logic 8/9 which I have used previously. It powers up fine and I've seen in working with its previous owner.

I also have a Apple Cinema Display monitor M8537ZM/A which I know works fine and is complete with its power/usb/ADC connector.

Unfortunately I can't get any signal to the Apple monitor. Neither can I get any signal to a DVI monitor via the DVI port in the G5.

My question is do I need to change the graphics card or am I missing something obvious as my research and checks would suggest everything is compatible?
    Any assistance much appreciated. Thanks

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

What did the previous owner have working for the video?

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Maybe try reseating the video card?

Is it possible the video card is dead?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does the power button light up on the ADC Studio Display when the machine is started? If not then you have a contact problem through the GPU to the Logic Board. ADC power is carried through the GPU. Try reseating the card and ensuring that it was not knocked around during shipment. To do this simply remove and reinstall the card while ensuring the slot for the card is clean and free of dust.

5. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the response.
    I'm fairly sure the G5 was connected to an Apple 20" HD LCD Cinema Display Monitor A1081 M9177LL/A.
    My monitor is an M8537ZM/A and was connected to a G4.
    Any assistance most appreciated, thanks

----------

Thanks Altemose, I check the graphic card is seated properly and report back

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You may also want to check the pins on the ADC connector. My main display had a slightly off pin when I first got it and while it worked, I didn't get USB. Fiddling around with it is when I noticed the bent pin. It can happen if you don't push the connector in right.

A jeweler's screwdriver set the pin straight and now the connector goes in just fine and everything works. But getting to that little pin was difficult.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Fortunately, DVI ports shouldn't have that problem.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

tomyg's G5 is a late-2005 and doesn't power an ADC display through the video card.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Oh whoops! Would his video card by chance have a supplemental power cable running into the card from the PSU then?

10. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!

What a great forum! Thanks guys for all the help, I removed the graphics card, gave the slots a blast with air and reinserted. Hey presto, everything fired up and despite its age, it looks great. Thanks to all for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Now how do I get the cd/dvd drive open without a Apple standard keyboard as the its open/closing is controlled via a keyboard button?

I have a USB plug wireless keyboard and mouse working beautifully but no open/shut button....any suggestions please, thanks

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think holding te F12 key will open it. You can also open it via Disk Utility.

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Try F12 on the keyboard.

At least under Leopard, I also always get an icon on the menu bar that will allow me to open it when I plug in a keyboard without an eject key.

13. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I do believe that is a feature Tiger and onward.

14. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

2nd Success

Again many thanks all....F12 did indeed open and shut the drive.

15. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Excellent, welcome to the realm of PowerPC, make your self comfortable because you can never leave now.

16. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've yet to run across it in Tiger, and spent a little while last night looking for a place to turn it on in system preferences.

I do know that it happens automatically for me in Lion when I plug in a keyboard without a media eject key, although all of my computers currently running Lion are actually running off the same install(I did not do the install) that's been cloned a couple of times so it's entirely possible that it's a feature that has to be turned on and I just don't know to do it.

17. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Bugger! After initial success, now failure..

After everyones help yesterday resulting in a working G5 with both graphics and cd driver operating beautifully, I carefully tidied up and positioned the G5 below my desk, complete in the knowledge everything worked.

Spoke too soon.

The G5 again failed to trigger the ACD monitor this morning which was working fine for over two hours yesterday prior to my switching off.
    After much messing about with cards, contacts, cables, plugs etc. its got to be a dodgy graphic card as the connections all are clean, intact and the fitting of the card is snug.

Thoughts most welcome.

18. weckart macrumors 601

If it is anything like mine, just use a wireless keyboard. Something about certain usb devices like those makes the G5 spit the SD tray open on bootup. It seems to be a recognised quirk of the PMG5.

Once in, you can have a menu option to open the SD without recourse to a keyboard.

http://macs.about.com/od/macoperatingsystems/qt/ejectcdmenu.htm

19. Dr0ster macrumors newbie

Stupid question, but have u tried the computer with another monitor?

Anyway, it's probably the graphic card. See if you can find another one on eBay? I hope u get it working. :)

20. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did try the Mac with other monitors but no joy.

21. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Graphic card clarification-G5

Hi,
    This is the Nvidia graphics card out of my G5. Its a PCI-Express fitting.
    In the picture I've outlined a section of the connection which is different from the rest.
    Should this be like this or has something broken away hence my connection problems?
    Comments please, thanks

Attached Files:

22. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

23. tomyg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, to be frank I thought it was but I'm getting a bit desperate now.