Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datdudejnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Hey everyone,

I'm new to Xserver and Xraids and for my jobs I have a quesiton.
I have an Xraid connected to an Xserver(A). This raid is a 14 drive raid and one part of the raid used to be on a different Xserver(B).
Now Xserver(A) can see both Volumes named Jobs and Work. But when trying to map the new Volume (Work) to a drive on the network on our PC's the Work volume can't come up.

I run OS Xserver 10.3.9, and I have no idea why I can see the Volume on the Xserver, yet when I type in the same IP I use to connect one Volume but I can't connect the other from the Xraid.

Please write back and help.......

drfoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
greetings

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Xserver and Xraids and for my jobs I have a quesiton.
I have an Xraid connected to an Xserver(A). This raid is a 14 drive raid and one part of the raid used to be on a different Xserver(B).

ouch!
if 1/2 of the volume used be a part of another Raid system - the Data is potentially foo depending on what type of raid it was in the beginning.

if the RAID wasn't really a RAID level-whatever JOBOD, then you might be in luck with your data. If this was an Xsan Raid, now your talking a whole different filesystem. and your Meta Data is the key to finding your data. This could be on another system or partition.-- it could be the one in your hands.

Now Xserver(A) can see both Volumes named Jobs and Work. But when trying to map the new Volume (Work) to a drive on the network on our PC's the Work volume can't come up.

I run OS Xserver 10.3.9, and I have no idea why I can see the Volume on the Xserver, yet when I type in the same IP I use to connect one Volume but I can't connect the other from the Xraid.

Please write back and help.......

10.3.9 uses an older filesystem, if the newer server is 10.4 and above you need to enable journaling and possibly access control lists.

Basics first.
back up original data --> to some place safe. including boot.

setup permissions
setup services
turn on services
setup users
setup access rights

you will need to enable sharing on that volume if it mounts. if it does not mount you may need to check the file system compatability

datdudejnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
ouch!
if 1/2 of the volume used be a part of another Raid system - the Data is potentially foo depending on what type of raid it was in the beginning.

if the RAID wasn't really a RAID level-whatever JOBOD, then you might be in luck with your data. If this was an Xsan Raid, now your talking a whole different filesystem. and your Meta Data is the key to finding your data. This could be on another system or partition.-- it could be the one in your hands.

10.3.9 uses an older filesystem, if the newer server is 10.4 and above you need to enable journaling and possibly access control lists.

Basics first.
back up original data --> to some place safe. including boot.

setup permissions
setup services
turn on services
setup users
setup access rights

you will need to enable sharing on that volume if it mounts. if it does not mount you may need to check the file system compatability

Well I think to be clear and sure of your response I should say my issue is that this new drive is coming up on the Xserver, however when i'm trying to connect to the Xserver on the LAN I can get half of the Raid that was already mapped on to the LAN thru PC and Mac however that second half isn't coming up and I'm wondering how to make it so I can map it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.