newbie needs iMovie help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Duch, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Duch macrumors member

When ever I transfer photos and movies from my camera to my macbook, the movies always end up in iPhoto, and not iMovie. How do you get the movies into iMovie, so you can make a collage, or a slideshow of all your different movies?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I take it that's a camera that takes movies, rather than a camcorder that takes photos?

If so then iPhoto is where they will download to. From iMovie(which version?) you should be able to select the Media Browser and find the movies in iPhoto.

Your camera should mount on the desktop? If it does you can to the rquired movie using the Import menu in iMovie8/9.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

And, actually, a lot of video cameras that take photos will open by default in iPhoto. Just quit iphoto if you don't want to import there, and then open iMovie, on the interface left side about halfway down the window you should see a little video camera looking icon..

Click that, and once connected and turned on, if iMovie recognizes the camera it will ask you to import your movies.

If this doesn't work, you can always get to them through the media browser as mentioned previously.

Attached Files:

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Taking this one step further -- how do I combine multiple .avi clips from my digital camera into one clip? I can get them from iPhoto easily, and can see them in iMovie, but I want to combine them into one little movie that I can put on my iPod. I have the newest and the next-to-newest iMovie (not at the mac right now, so don't recall version numbers).

Thanks in advance!

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Put them all into iMovie, create a New Project with them all, and then use the Share function to produce a file for your iPod.

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Thanks, Dave, that worked perfectly. I guess I was trying to "join " them in the window before I "shared".