NEWBIE! ;o)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jasontrucks76, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jasontrucks76 macrumors member

Hello all.

I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jason and I have been toying with Mac's for the last few years and really enjoying the simplicity of the O/S.

I do computer programing in the HVAC world with building automation for a living and unfortunately all of my work programs are based on PC platform. I have been running a couple Mac Minis at home and for Christmas my wife got me a new Mac Pro quad core with 6 gig ram!!!!
    This is quite a step up for me and I thought was just a pipe dream until I opened my Christmas present Christmas morning.

I have a few questions about networking and wanted to know if this is the place I should be posting them or if there was another section of this site that would be better.

My goal would be to make this Mac Pro my home server and tie in the other two Minis and I have a PC that I would like to run on it. I would really like to make my wife's PC run virtually on my machine if possible. Or if there is a way to simply network them all so they are all running on the Pro and simply have a remote connection to it.

I am totally new to this type of setup and networking so any and all help would be appreciated. I am not sure if I explained myself very clearly but please feel free to ask more questions if needed.

Thank you in advance,

Jason.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Welcome to the forum. Mac Pro owners can ask all questions regarding their machines.

It is pretty simple to make the Mac Pro networked. You look in the system preferences at authorisations. You will have to activate all kinds of different authorisations on your various machines to achieve a good networking organization.

3. jasontrucks76 thread starter macrumors member

Great!

Thanks. I was hoping for a little more specific directions on how to do this though. I have been playing around within the system preferences and the sharing tab but have not been successful at connecting remotely.
    Ultimately i would like it if I could set up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse at my wife's desk and have it running to my Mac. But I would like to be able to have both work stations running at the same time. This would be if I am unable to network them the way I want.

4. rtrt, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. nanofrog macrumors G4

First off, welcome. :)

The simplest thing you could do is simply file sharing between the systems. For allowing the other Macs to act as terminals, you'd need OS X Server (if I'm understanding you correctly here, where the app runs on the MP, not the client machine), and for VM with the PC, you'd need a VM server (i.e. VirtualBox can I think, which is open source).

Hope this helps. :)