Newbie planning on buying a macbook pro.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by themixwizard, Oct 14, 2007.

1. themixwizard macrumors newbie

I'm brand new to the world of the mac. I've been a pc user for years and have finally decided I'd like to try out a mac and plan on getting a macbook pro. I have two questions.

1. If I buy a macbook directly at the Apple retail store, do they have various configurations in stock? I.e. if I wanted a 15 " 2.4 ghz, 200 hd, 2 mb of ram, is there brand new stock of that specific configuration on hand or are there only certain configurations? Just trying to find out if I should just buy online instead.

2. The new operating system, leopard, is rumored to be shipping sometime towards the end of the month. If I wait for the official shipping date and buy a macbook then, do you think the retail store would have the OS preinstalled already in their stock?

Thanks,

Eagerly waiting to be a mac user!

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

If you want a custom configuration, you will probably have to order from Apple's on-line store in order to get exactly what you want. That being said, don't get RAM from Apple, but buy it from newegg or macsales.com instead.

OS X 10.5 will not likely be preinstalled in pre-existing merchandise in stores, but they will probably put a copy of it in the box, so you will have to install it yourself. Should take less than an hour to do it, though. New stock arriving in stores will have the new OS installed.

Also, if you buy after the ship date for 10.5 is announced, but before it has actually shipped, Apple will probably send you a free copy.