Newbie pls help. About to purchase MBP in Asia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aido, Nov 4, 2007.

1. aido macrumors newbie

Hi, firstly aplogies for what may seem like a few dumb questions.
    I am about to go down the Mac route, and have my eye on a new Macbook Pro. However upon researching I have a few questions to pose.

Firstly as I may very well make my purchase in Japan I am concearned as to any problems with the Wireless Card Locale being Japan. I have read that this has caused problems in wireless connection within Windows. Is this still the case with the newer MBP`s, that there is a driver failure within Bootcamp relating to different chipsets (Artheros/Broadcom)

Secondly would I be better off with a Japanese, UK, or US keyboard?
    I plan on spending some time in Japan, so the ability to type in Kana may be useful, but I am in fact resident in the UK. What I am also wondering, is whick Mac keyboard layout translates to windows with minimum problems??

Finally are there likely to be any PAL/NTSC issues resulting from buying the machine in Japan for both the `recording` and playback of video?

In advance, thank you.

Aido.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Well it would be totally better for me to have a US keyboard. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist the chance. I apologize for not knowing the answer to your other questions except the PAL/NTSC issue; Which shouldn't be an issue. AFAIK, the MBP's output is independent of different broadcast standards and most editing apps will let you choose either.

3. aido thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks AB.
    Each little bit of info is useful.

I had figured that the US keyboard would prove to be an easier transition if using Windows - the only downside being the loss of a UK Pounds sign, which I assume far outweighs the problems with having a UK keyboard. (????)

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I hate the tiny size of the enter/return key on the UK keyboard lay-out. I am sure that you can set the computer to recognize the US keyboard as the UK keyboard and by doing so you will retain the ability to put the pound sign. The only downside is that the sign won't be printed on the key.

IMO, get the US keyboard.

5. aido thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Skyrider, is that what you plumped for too? A US keyboard?
    I note you`re in the UK too. Had any issues with the US keys?

Which has the Delete key missing? US or UK??

The Japanese one would be ideal (with kana) though I hear that a lot of the syntax/punctuation keys are messed up when running windows..

Still, the burning question is the Airport/Wireless card issue

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:jrgQH7FkkrUJ:discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa%3FthreadID%3D433599%26start%3D0%26tstart%3D0+%22code+10%22+%26+driver+%26+windows+%26+%22macbook+pro%22+%26+japanese+%26+wireless&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=uk

A friend of mine reckons that this may have been an issue with the beta version of bootcamp, and that the problem is now resolved. This IS only a hunch mind, and I would be more than pleased if this is to actually be the case. Apple UK seem to think it will be okay to buy a Japanese machine(though i suspect without fully understanding the problem). They even said "Well Japanese keyboards have english letters on them too" ???????
    The Japanese Support was, as you may expect, self contradicting and not clear in any answer to the positive or contrary............

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Here is a picture of a UK keyboard:

http://www.thebookyard.com/images/pb12kb.jpg

Keep in the mind that should you decide to buy the laptop in Japan, it will come with a U.S. lay-out with some Japanese modification. So it will work either way.

I don't really understand your other questions, sorry.