newbie plus jailbreak= ??????'s

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bw1128, Aug 1, 2010.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

is there anything i need to know about or that is important to do with the jailbreak? i just dont want to mess anything up. i have never jailbroke a iphone or hacked anything before. is it really as easy as swipe to jailbreak? oh and i have a iphone4 with 4.0.1 on it with itunes 9.2.1(4) and i have a macbook pro if this helps.

what is cydia...redsnow...winterboard...spirit...rain...blackrain...pwnage"spelling"...

thanks for any advice!!!:confused:

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

You really can't do any permanent damage with a jailbreak. Restoring your iDevice always fixes it.

Take a look at jailbreakme.com, the forums have been blowing up about this website over the past few hours, not sure if it's iP4 compatible though.

Terminology:

Cydia - The jailbroken version of the app store. Standard on most jailbreaking processes.

Redsn0w - One of many programs/methods to jailbreak certain iDevices.

Winterboard - One of the most downloaded apps in Cydia. Allows implementation of customs themes/sounds/tweaks etc.

Spirit - See redsn0w.

Rain - See above.

Blackra1n - See above.

Pwnage Tool - Pwnage does almost anything jailbreak related. What it allows you to do is to create a custom firmware file, running unsigned code. What this means for you is that it will allow you to restore your iPod to a pre-jailbroken (pre-unlocked and pre-activated for you iPhone users) firmware file.

Hope that helps. Jailbreaking is a huge, fun world. :)

3. xMastemah macrumors member

Run the jailbreak and most of that will become apparent to you after toying around in Cydia for a bit. Cydia will self-install on your phone after you run the JB.

Also, it's very very VERY hard to "break" your phone beyond repair. Really. Besides physical damage, unless you delete the boot ROM or something you can reverse or fix any mistake. :)

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

You've just asked a mouthful. Make a backup in iTunes before you do anything. It really is as easy as swipe to jailbreak. This will install Cydia on your phone as well. The other stuff you'll have to Google or search these threads.

5. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.

but a couple more questions, when i jailbreak should i have it pluged into my computer or not? and after i jailbreak should i back it up? when i do back it up, will it be a back up with the jb on it?

next question, probably a dumb one, but need to ask anyways. should i not update my iphone when apple comes out with another update till yall say so? but if i were to, what could happen to my iphone?

thanks

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Yes, you should be plugged in to a computer when jailbreaking. Each jailbreak program has its own method, so look at each individual one before proceeding.

Yes, backing up beforehand is an excellent idea.

When Apple updates your iDevice's firmware, you will lose the jailbreak. That's why when I had my 2nd Gen Touch, I stayed with 3.0 the whole time. :D

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When you back up, your jb and its programs will not be on it.
    When it comes to updating your phone: don't. When you look through these threads, you'll see a bunch of impatient twits who couldn't bother to wait for the jailbreak; they updated their phone's OS. Of course, they cried afterward about how they lost their jailbreak and/or unlock.
    When you update prematurely, the only thing that people will tell you is to wait and that's all you'll be able to do.
    Do not update until you hear the word from the Dev Team.
    *This also applies to iTunes

8. gr8pics macrumors regular

gr8pics

I have one simple question;
    Do I need to jailbreak my phone to unlock my iphone4 locked with AT&T?

9. enklined macrumors 6502

Yes, except the iPhone 4 unlock isnt out...YET.

10. anthdci macrumors 6502

yes, ultrasn0w will be out shortly and that will unlock it for you, you can only access ultrasn0w if you are jailbroken.

11. gr8pics macrumors regular

gr8pics

12. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

As another jb newbie I have one more question.... I've read about making sure to have a backup up your shsh file. What is the best way to go about this and could you clarify why it is needed?

Thanks