Newbie, probably dumb, ipod question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by anatchim, Sep 13, 2013.

1. anatchim macrumors newbie

Hi,

First time posting here, great place :)

I have been considering gettig my daughter an ipod touch, the 5th generation one. I've never had an ipod, we (me and husband) do have iphones and an ipad, that out daughter uses all the time (for the camera, and to play games).

I was just about to make the purchase, when it hitted me:
    "Does ipod have built in speakers????"

I really don't want her to be forced to use earphones, or to *have* to connect it to external bluetooth speakers or so (so much for portability on this one, when in the car or something).

I was looking for something like an iphone but without the phone part (she's way too young for that).

I had considered getting the 4th generation, but the camera is really an important feature for her, and the 4th generation one is just too weak, so I was going to get the 5th generation one. But only if it has built in speakers!!

Thanks for the input (...and play nice, I warned I was a newbie when it comes to ipod) ^_^

Ana

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

3. anatchim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your input, it is really very helpfull!!

I thought all the 5th generation versions had 2 cameras, and as this is a very important factor for this specific purchase, I'll go with the 32GB version thanks to you! As I'll get it online I would probably miss the camera "detail", and then would be *extremelly* disapointed when came to realise there were no rear camera... Now this is ubber-new/numb/iness :)

Thanks again, your insight was precious :)

Ana

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I recommend getting it from amazon because it is 25$ cheaper new.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Speaking as an iPod Touch 5G owner...

The iPod Touch 5G has a reasonable camera (about equivalent to the iPhone 4S), and it also can do FaceTime with the frontal camera, and it can also do Siri. It can play just about 99% of the games and apps that the iPhones can. In fact, the ONLY apps it probably cannot run are the ones that require specific phone functionality (e.g. an iPhone).

It does have built-in speakers, but they are not very loud. They are fine for hearing the sounds on most games, and the simple clicks/beeps/alerts when using certain apps or notifications.

The speaker is sub-par if she is going to use it to listen to music tracks (e.g. rock, pop, classical, vocal, etc). It has a tinny sound. Of course, they sound fantastic when using headphones/earphones. Also, you can buy her a small (inexpensive) portable battery-operated speaker that plugs right into the earphone jack. I have one for work, so I can listen to music while I work, but don't need speakers blasting so loud that it will distract my co-workers or tick off my boss. Look below for an example. They go from $15 to 30$.

[​IMG]

6. anatchim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! I'm actually looking on ebay, because I'm in Europe, and the import duties and taxes of buying in the US would be outrageous ^_^ but that's a great discount! Maybe someone here reads it and jumps on it :)

----------

Thank you so much for your valuable input... I dis thought the builtin speaker would be tiny, as the iphone has 2, and he ipod appears to have only 1, but for now it's perfect... She's into the photos and the game apps mostly :) as she grows older she'll be more into music of course, but I'll get her some comfortable earphones, and we already have a nice bluetooth external speaker that she can use too to enhance the sound of the device when necessary!

I'm very excited about getting her this :) she'll love it, as she's always borrowing our iphones!

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Here's the best on I found:
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=141061206345
    Are you looking for new or used and what color/size/

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

If you are from the UK you can also get your iPod touch from argos and they are selling them for £30 less than Apple.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yeah, no problem :)
    I said to myself, let me mention it since kids love their cameras!
    In that link I gave you, you can see that the left side is all the things the 16GB has and on the right is the 32/64 GB models.
    All sizes come w/ the new Earpods.

I do think if you wait a few weeks at least until the iPod Touches come w/ iOS7 preinstalled you can take advantage of getting all the apple iOS apps they are going to offer w/ new iOS7 devices for free and then you can also use them on your other iOS devices. They haven't confirmed this for the iPod Touch though, but is more than likely going to happen.

10. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

You can get free engraving from the online apple store.

----------

Apple's website says that iPod touches are included, and you have to purchase it after September 1st in order to get the free apps (it's September 14)