iPad Pro Newbie Q - will the Apple Pencil scratch the screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Infiniteconstancy, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Infiniteconstancy macrumors regular

Infiniteconstancy

Trying to figure out if I should get a screen protector on the iPad Pro. Been drawing on it and I get nervous it will scratch. Thoughts? :)

2. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Yep, the pencil tip is made of diamonds and saphire chips ‍♂️

3. yeahtyeaht macrumors 6502

yeahtyeaht

4. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The tip of the pencil itself will not, however you could get particles that could scratch the screen stuck between the tip and the screen.

5. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

@MrGimper gave the correct answer. One reason one might want to use a matte, anti-glare screen protector is to cut down on glare and fingerprint smudges and give some ever-so-slight resistance to the screen for a more natural writing experience. Without one, I find the Pencil too slippery on the bare screen.

6. Infiniteconstancy thread starter macrumors regular

Infiniteconstancy

Really!!
    any good screen protector you’d recommend?

7. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

PaperLike is a popular matte protector but costs a bit ($30 for 2). I use Mr Shield matte protectors on my devices. Under $10 for 3-5 protectors (depending upon the device). If you're not sure that you'd like using a matte protector, I recommend getting something like Mr Shield first and if you like it, spring for PaperLike.

8. csurfr macrumors 68020

9. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Good point. Yes, glass screen protectors have been an issue with the iPad Pros for a while. The matte protectors I suggested aren't glass and don't have that issue.

10. csurfr macrumors 68020

True. I had a matte one on my 10.5 Pro and didn’t see any issues. Haven’t picked anything up for the 11” yet. My only real concern (and was mentioned above) is something on the screen between the pencil tip and the glass causing a scratch.