Newbie Q's: Canadian iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patchouli, Dec 4, 2010.

1. patchouli macrumors member

Before anyone starts getting all upset because I'm not using google.. let me tell you I have spent hours researching before I am coming here.. ok?

-so.. if I'm a Canadian with a Canadian account, I can't sign up for an itunes account under 'canada' unless I have a credit card? (i have read the stories about how to work around it if you are a US) - there is no 'none' option under 'credit card' (nor is there a paypal option)

-if I do the workaround and sign up for a US itunes/apps account (which is against the rules I agreed to, by the way), I checked this out, and there is also no 'none' option there under 'credit card', (however there IS a paypal option).. but.. if I use the paypal option, considering my paypal is a canadian account.. will it accept it?? and what about when/if I go to pay for something in the US market with my canadian paypal account.. will I run into probs then??

-I was reading some of the Canadian tv stuff.. sounds great.. no Canadian tv?? But I can get it if I sign up for the american app store, once again? And 'they' aren't going to know, based on my IP address (or care??)

-I also read that people who had previously successfully used the 'vanilla prepaid mastercard' purch'd at shoppers drug mart are no longer having any luck with those cards working on the American account?? Could this be because these cards have a number which is identifiably Canadian??

I feel like crying, I'm so frustrated. Why doesn't my router work for my imac when the imac is in another room? Do I have a ***** router? Do I need a newer one? Should I get an Airport one? Are they better? Do Airport extreme routers work with IBMs if I also have IBMs in the house? (We have some plaster/lath walls in here with mesh screening by the way, is this why???)

I can download tv or movies onto my imac and then transfer them to 5 mac authorized devices.. but if I dl them onto an ipad, it can only be for one ipad??

Am I getting it yet????????????????????????????

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

But not enough research to post a detailed question about iTunes webstore on an iTunes site? This is a Mac forum, yet none of your main questions have anything to do with Mac. They would be far better asked on an iTunes forum.

Lobbing in your q's about routers at the end also doesn't help, and nor does the lack of a useful title to help people know what its about. Pretty much every first post here is a question, so saying you have a question is of no use, imagine if everyone just posted "newbie question" or "moderately experienced user question" etc ??

My advice is to repost your router question with a title indicating its about routers (though a wire mesh wall would seem to be a pretty effective screen against wireless signals and something you could easily check by moving the position of computer or router) and repost your iTunes question on an iTunes forum.

3. patchouli thread starter macrumors member

I am a brand new Mac user, and my Mac came with iTunes. I joined this forum to read the wealth of info and get help when needed. In my mind, what better place to ask an iTunes question? Since it is a program or function inherent in all Macs, I figured 'Mac Basics and Help' would be a good bet.

I had several questions, hence the 's' in my title to make it plural. I said I spent HOURS searching the net already. I thought the purpose of forums was to help people navigate their way through things withOUT having to spend a day searching. Not every issue is going to be unique to one person and one person may not always be able to find that post dealing with it.

I did a search on iTunes and a search on iTunes help and there are many forum categories this topic comes up in. I don't see one specifically for iTunes. Does this mean I need to join another forum to get information?

I am feeling very overwhelmed but thanks for your help.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hi patchouli

I have changed your thread title to reflect Canadian iTunes. Creating a more specific thread title will get you more appropriate and relevant attention.

If you have multiple, unrelated questions, you will be better off starting a new thread for each question in the appropriate Forum.

There are a lot of helpful folk here at MR, but getting you to the right place and people is half the battle.

Welcome, and I am sure you will have some helpful suggestions soon.