Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentjayd007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2010
Hey all so I heard some people on the radio this morning chatting about jailbreaking their iPhones, they seemed to say it helped out a lot but what exactly is it? What are the advantages/disadvantages? If you jailbreak it can you set it back to the regular phone again if you don't like it being jailbroken? I have heard of jailbreaking in the past, but I never paid much attention, but it seems like maybe a good idea.

Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but I was just wondering about jailbreaking.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hey all so I heard some people on the radio this morning chatting about jailbreaking their iPhones, they seemed to say it helped out a lot but what exactly is it? What are the advantages/disadvantages? If you jailbreak it can you set it back to the regular phone again if you don't like it being jailbroken? I have heard of jailbreaking in the past, but I never paid much attention, but it seems like maybe a good idea.

Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but I was just wondering about jailbreaking.

All this can be learned by Google.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney

It is installing a custom firmware onto the iPhone rather than Apple's standard iPhone OS. This allows you to install apps that at this point aren't to be found on Apple's official App Store and customize the way your iPhone operates and looks (themes).

Once Jailbroken, you can restore if you want to, but some things may stay the same. For instance, I added numerical battery to my 3G, which is only a 3GS feature, and unless I uninstall that feature before restoring, it will keep showing the numerical battery. Not a problem unless its taken ti a Genius Bar and they pick up on it.

There are many advantages including multi-tasking, theming, access to video recorders where there was none before (3G), ability to set up your iPhone as a wifi hot spot and so on. But with this also comes the possibility that you'll leave your iPhone in a state of uselessness if something goes wrong.

For me, the benefits have far outweighed the risks involved. I wouldn't suggest doing it until you're comfortable you've read up on it enough. Hell you're probably running 3.1.3 and are unable to anyway.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
It depends on what phone you have, when you bought it, etc. Sometimes it happens where you can't jailbreak certain devices because Apple does everything within their power to try and stop people from Jailbreaking their phones.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
Howcome I can't jailbreak it if I am running 3.1.3?

Whenever Apple releases a new firmware they patch the exploits used by those who create the Jailbreak tools to allow us to JB. 3.1.3 wasn't a big upgrade, so not a lot of attention was paid to it by the guys developing JB tools.

You'll probably find you can Jailbreak your iPhone running 3.1.3 but you wont be able to unlock it for use with another carrier. So if thats not a drama for you then by all means go ahead.

Just remember no one is responsible for it but you. Apple wont help you out if you stuff up your iPhone from hacking their device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.