Newbie Question: MacBP to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yahhammas, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Yahhammas macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I bought a HDMI to mini display port adapter, with the HDMI cable. I connected the cables correctly to the TV. Video fantastic, no audio. I thought that HDMI supported audio.. but I don't get any sound.

Is there a way, without buying anything else to get sound on my TV through my Mac Book Pro:confused:?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

How old is your MBP? The latest (few?) generation supports audio through MDP, but the MDP/HDMI adapter needs to support it as well, and not all do.

See here: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4241

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

If you're MacBook Pro isn't a 2010 or 2011 model then the mini display port can't output sound. You'll need to use the 3.5mm audio jack for analogue or optical audio, or get an HDMI adaptor which uses mDP for video and gets audio via USB. Which one you'll want all depends on whether you need anything more than stereo and the inputs you have a available on your TV.

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

damn, no biggie i guess, but still sucks, i got the late 08 pro. We got all the goods, new monitor (LED), better battery life, processor and GPU upgraded combo, as well as pci-adapter. But not audio or automatic GPU switch.

Oh well, that's technology for you, at least next upgrade it will be a good upgrade rather than just a hardware upgrade.