Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartmack1974

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2011
swansea, wales, uk
Hi,

OK so i just wanted to get rid of a few built-in apps i dont use - only about four in total (ichat, chess etc) so ive sent them to trash for secure deletion and teh OS tells me its deleting 10,000 items and its taking eons!!!

Whats all that about and is there a quicker way to do it?

Stu

crashmaster1

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Secure Empty Trash... overwrites the files with zeros, so it will take much longer than just Empty Trash... which just deletes the pointers to the files, and is much faster.

With Empty Trash... you can use utilities to un-delete the files while Secure Empty Trash... makes it (almost) impossible to recover the files.

Hope that helped...

crash

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Secure empty trash takes much longer than just emptying the trash. Generally you use it so that you minimize the chance of someone being able to retrieve the information back from the drive, not for deleting apps and freeing up space.

stuartmack1974

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2011
swansea, wales, uk
Crashmaster and Astro - many thanks. Im new to Mac and just wanted to learn a little more about how the OS works etc.

As for why im removing them - i will never use them and want to keep my MBP system as lean as possible.

Stu

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Thanks for the in-depth explanation, my knowledge base is ever growing with such helpful contributions.

- I sense some sarcasm. And I can see that my previous post has been rated "-2". Interesting. From my point of view, I simply answered your questions (correctly). Did you or anyone else expect me to do more than that? If so, it is you who should have elaborated and clarified that you wanted more information than what you asked for...

I was merely trying to help. I had no bad intentions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.