Newbie Question: Pending Verizon iPhone general JB info

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by digitard, Jan 23, 2011.

1. digitard, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I'm not new to general jailbreaking as I've knocked out both my iPod Touch and iPad, but since I'm very anti-ATT (dead spot issues around Phoenix) I've never looked too much into the iPhone side of things since I refused to go over to the carrier itself.

Now it's coming to Big Red, finally, and its got my head turning.

I'm a big fan of jailbreaking for the customization side (themes, higher level of control, and a few 3rd party apps via Cydia such as the now killed VLC player). With the viPhone on it's way in just a few short weeks I wanted to kind of get that side of things making sense.

I just want someone to correct me if I'm wrong here as I've only done a minor bit of searching.

If I plan to jailbreak the OS only for Verizon and not mess w/ my Baseband or any other carrier unlocks (since I'm a Verizon customer) it should be as simple as any other regular non-cellular jailbreak, correct?

When it gets tricky is unlocking it for other carriers, and/or changing the baseband for whatever reason (radio issues, etc... whatever).

I know that it's not out yet, and we don't even have word on when it would be out since 4.2.5 (supposed release version) isn't even out there yet. I'm just trying to get my general thought process in the right direction since the net is really overloaded w/ info but since almost all discussions tend to be solely for GSM providers I just want the basics.

2. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

I'm not new to general jailbreaking as I've knocked out both my iPod Touch and iPad

Anyone can jailbreak. It's meant for people to do themselves.

I'm a big fan of jailbreaking for the customization side (themes, higher level of control, and a few 3rd party apps via Cydia such as the now killed VLC player).

VLC Player? So you're going to get a cracked version?

I just want someone to correct me if I'm wrong here as I've only done a minor bit of searching.

You've done an unimportant bit of searching?

If I plan to jailbreak the OS only for Verizon and not mess w/ my Baseband or any other carrier unlocks (since I'm a Verizon customer) it should be as simple as any other regular non-cellular jailbreak, correct?

Let me check my Verizon iPhone 4 jailbreak so I can answer your question.

I'm just trying to get my general thought process in the right direction since the net is really overloaded w/ info but since almost all discussions tend to be solely for GSM providers I just want the basics.

Check Verizon's FAQ page.

3. digitard thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitard

Hey look. A dbag. Thanks for being so helpful.

Let me rephrase the ? then since you have been oh so amazingly helpful with your complete disregard to put useful information and need to solely up your post count.

Based on previous JB's and general knowledge of the OS and Cellular workings in general. Is JB'ing a device w/ a Cellular radio as simple as a regular non-cell (wifi) based device, or are the two interlinked (radio/os) in a way that it will require more work on the JB end which will delay a possible JB longer?

I only ask as I'm a big fan of tinkering w/ whatever I can on my phones (old habits from working in the industry and always having something new to play with) and just curious to how things work a bit more with JB'ing a device w/ a cellular chipset when not changing carriers, or basebands.

I know the device isn't out, yet, but people familiar with the process should be able to answer to a degree.

I know in the past when it came down to WinMo devices and people were going custom ROM crazy (or even Android) in most circumstances the radio/os were independent enough where getting a comparable JB level of access wasn't going to mess w/ anything on the cellular side (with the exception of someone messing up a ROM and the two not working right together, but that's an issue that wouldn't even be a concern).

Just trying to up my knowledge in this side of things. Any recommended reading, too, is great. The usuak ****** type response just provides such a crazy amount of data on things recommendations are helpful.

4. CZK macrumors 6502a

No one knows

/topic

5. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Basic answer.. yes. It should be simple if you are only looking to jailbreak when it comes out. It should be after 4.3 comes out.

6. digitard thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitard

Thanks. I know right now it's all based on previous data on a completely different carrier/chipset/tech but I was just trying to get a general idea of what to expect, or at least an avenue to explore.

Who knows what will happen until the data and devices are in the Dev hands, but at least it gives me some general info based on previous experiences w/ JB'ing iOS.

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I don't even think we'll need to concern ourselves with unlocking. There is another thread which goes into what it would take to put a verizon phone on a sprint network and it certainly doesn't seem like sprint would ALLOW it to operate on the network. I guess the CDMA network is much different than our GSM network where you just pop in a different sim and the tower allows you access.

8. digitard thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitard

I can answer that side of things to a degree.

Yes all the data as far as how the phone is programmed is stored in the phone. The only thing the customer inputs, generally, is their MIN/MDN if they have to program it manually. There are some other values they can edit (especially if it's a dual nam phone and can switch between lines for voice), but the core Data settings tend to be outside of the customer field of view.

So if you take say a Verizon phone to another CDMA carrier and put your # in then your phone should make/receive calls/text fine, but the data will still try to default to the username configuration for Verizon. Obviously when it auth's that's not going to work.

The only way around that is generally to use a 3rd party program and go in and edit the phones data settings so it authenticates under the other carriers setup.

When the BB Storm came out I wanted to use it on Alltel (before they became Verizon). The normal programming menu allowed me to get the phone/text side working, and even the BB authentication but the data still defaulted to Verizon so I could only get 1X working. I was able to work with some people and we figured out how to modify it via a tool, but it required a lot of hoops.

Long story short. Possible? Probably, but unlikely w/ a tool or app. You'd have to actually get into the core settings via a 3rd party tool and go that way and that can get tricky. Especially if you kill a value and your phone doesn't work right.