Newbie question: recommendation for photo editing software

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I'm a mac newbie and am looking for recommendations for digital photo editing software. In my previous life as a Windows guy, I was moderately experienced in photo editing (basic tasks like cropping, enhancing, correcting exposure, etc, as well as more advanced stuff like colorizing, removal of unwanted objects, etc.).

I am looking for something more sophisticated than iPhoto, but nothing as complex (or expensive!) as Photoshop. I am currently evaluating Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 (which I used on my PC).

Just curious if there are any other photo editing programs I should try out. Hopefully there are some that are designed specifically for Macs.

(On an unrelated note, I guess I'm having minor buyers remorse as I find the Mac versions of programs I used to rely on -- like Quicken and Entourage/Outlook are pretty crappy on Mac. I know this feeling will pass once I get all accustomed to my new life with Apple...)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Argelius said:
I'm a mac newbie and am looking for recommendations for digital photo editing software. In my previous life as a Windows guy, I was moderately experienced in photo editing (basic tasks like cropping, enhancing, correcting exposure, etc, as well as more advanced stuff like colorizing, removal of unwanted objects, etc.).

I am looking for something more sophisticated than iPhoto, but nothing as complex (or expensive!) as Photoship. I am currently evaluating Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 (which I used on my PC).

Just curious if there are any other photo editing programs I should try out. Hopefully there are some that are designed specifically for Macs.

GraphicConverter ships with most Macs. If you don't have it, download it and slap yourself for not getting it earlier. If you want to spend extra money, then Adobe's Photohop Elements will set you back $100.

glenthompson

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
Even if you don't need the power of some of the better tools, will you need them for photo management in the future? Something like Aperture or Lightroom might be the best fit in capabilities. If all you need is photo editing the Photoshop Elements offers a lot of power for a reasonable price.