Newbie Question regarding iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TiSwAsuk, May 26, 2009.

1. TiSwAsuk macrumors newbie

Hi all, thinking of getting an 24" iMac to replace the 20" tv in the Kitchen.. obviusoly it's going to be used as a Mac as well as a TV and I have some questions.

i) Is there anything out there that will connect the Mac to my Sky TV feed via Coax like a normal TV - will the EyeTV 250 Plus do the job?? if not what?

ii) can a 24" version be wall mounted?

Thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

i) Yes, there are different options
    ii) Yes, it can be wall mounted

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1) It will be cheaper to buy an iMac and new TV/monitor than buying EyeTV 250 Plus.

2) Yes, here is one

BTW, is it possible to hook up my PS3 to one of the EyeTVs and have HD quality? Possibly the most expensive model?

4. TiSwAsuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks can you guide me to the cheapest TV option please?

Ouch i see now why it would be cheaper! thanks for the heads up was just about to press ORDER in the apple store....

Thanks

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You don't need something as fancy as the EyeTV 250 Plus. If all you're doing is watching Sky then the cheapest tuner will do the job (you won't have any use for digital tv tuner capabilities etc. If you definitely want an EyeTV product then the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid is the best value one imo. I've got one and its great although you don't need a lot of the features.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No, I'm afraid not. There is currently no way to get HD quality from a PS3 to an iMac's screen.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I was scared of that too :(

I guess it's easiest and cheapest to buy an external monitor and hook up my iMac and PS3 to it and because I only need it for few months of year (I have 32" HD ready Sony at home) but at summer holiday I spend 90% of my time at my family's summer cottage and there's no hi-def TV

8. TiSwAsuk thread starter macrumors newbie