Newbie question - secured Iphone Developer and App

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by lrittz, May 3, 2010.

1. lrittz macrumors newbie

Hi All,

We've recently secured iPhone App developers, and understand the generic process of developing through SDK..

Since we're not actually involved in the technical programming and implementation (just the concept and idea), would I still need to purchase an MacBook and iTouch in order to publish the App itself?

I'm having the developer forward me the code used to develop for our filing purposes. Since I'm not the developer, would I be able to sell the app on iTunes via my PC, assuming he forwards me the app? Or would I have to still purchase a macbook and then register and pay the $99 yearly fee as a developer despite him doing all of the programming? Thanks much, and appreciate it.

PS we tested the app on an itouch so the app works, it's just a matter of being to place it on itunes store via PC if that's still possible, thanks.

2. skunkworker macrumors regular

Well the final codesigning with the distribution build of the .ipa needs to be on a mac with xcode.

Is this for a company? In order to publish your apps on the app store the $99/year developer program needs to be bought for your company or possibly you as an individual (depending on the agreement between you and the developers).

Some more information about the structure of the company would also help to clarify what specifically you are asking.

3. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

No you do not need a Mac to upload the binary to Apple. The developer just needs to send you the finalized zip file of the Application.

4. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys,

skunk - to be honest, this is our first app ever created. however the feedback about our app has been great, so we decided to stick with a developer based on his portfolio. we are unincorporated at this point but plan to be down the line when we develop more apps. there is just a little bit of a time crunch to get this app out based on market shifts, so we want to proceed at this point.

that said, i'd like the app to be under my name, which beggs the question if i could create a developer or seller profile of some sort so that users can click my profile to see my apps on itunes appstore, as opposed to have it be under the developer's name since per contract we're entitled to all subscriber fee so i'd like our account setup on the itune app profile since programmer only gets a (nice) flat fee. i know itunes is accessible via PC (which i have), but i didn't see the option to actually sell my app on there (which made me think i had to go thru SDK first with a mac).

avizz - thanks so im guessing its a normal zip that i extract. i simply make a profile on iTunes via my PC and i can upload that extracted file to their store? if i ask the developer for a copy of the code, will i be able to open it on my PC to view it (i'm guessing no editing would be allowed)?

ps we are aware of hackintosh to get your PC to do things via Mac OS, but being that my partner and i aren't as computer savvy as the third-party developers, if it comes down it to AND we really need a mac of some sort, since they are quite expensive what are your thoughts if we purchased a Mac Mini 2GB ram (entry level) for the sake of applying via SDK to make everything easier? we really don't use macs and would use it ONLY for the sake of publishing (not programming) and selling the app on iTunes.

again, really appreciate everything.

5. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

The .zip file he would send you is the exact file you need to upload to Apple (no need to unzip it). With a PC you couldn't edit the project but I'm not entirely positive that you can't atleast view the code (I mean the developer could always just place the code in a .txt file).

As for your needs a Mac Mini would definitely work, it will give you all that you need for basic publishing of applications.

6. Mike777 macrumors member

Please dont get the mac mini.

For just a little more cash, you can get the macbook white, which also allows you to connect it to a monitor and use dual monitor displays (macbook monitor and the desktop monitor at the same time).

All this for a little more cash plus you may find you fall in love with the book.

7. firewood macrumors 604

If you want the apps sold under your (legal or corporate) name, with proceeds going into your bank account and recorded to your tax ID, then you probably want to apply for the developer program yourself and pay the $99.

If you trust your developer with your login credentials to your Apple ADC account (giving them access to your bank info, tax ID, and sales financials, etc.), then you can let them do everything. You don't need a Mac.

If you want to keep the Apple ADC login credentials to yourself, then you will most likely need a Mac (or at least periodic access to a trusted Mac) to create the team leader code signing certificates. Send these certificates to your dev, and they can sign your apps with your certificate and send them to you for submission.

8. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i can get the mini for $530 and the lowest macbook i see is $950, that's almost double, unless im missing another laptop option? or you mean get a used one. how reliable are used ones generally or the ones on macbookmart? i also have to get an iTouch but i doubt they do bundles on the hardware. thanks again.

ps this is my last option as ill try via avizz's suggestion first and publish thru iTunes via my PC. i just have to figure out how to create a profile on the app store with PC to sell apps, as the current option i see is just to buy apps.

9. skunkworker macrumors regular

You don't use itunes to upload the app. You use iTunes connect which is just a web application. To create a "profile" you sign up for the developer program. If you are serious about making money on this app it would be really smart to buy a mac and get the developer account.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If you're not going to be doing any programming / working with the source code, you don't absolutely have to have a Mac but then you'll need to trust others to do distribution builds and such.

11. lrittz thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all, it looks like ill have to get a macbook to bypass me having to give the programmer my account/tax info, etc. i found some open boxes near me - aside, i'm guessing open boxes generally don't carry any warranty as they're used?

one last thing, we have a friend who has been running top 50 apps.. she's brought up the idea that we should host the app initially under her user name so we can take advantage of her current audience whom she cross promotes to with all her apps, which is fine as we'll just create a contract regarding logistics...

down the line though once the app is established, how hard would it be (if even possible) to transfer that app from under her profile to mine? thanks again.

12. firewood macrumors 604

There have been reports are that it is very difficult to get an app transferred from another developer.

Another random option is that you could negotiate some sort of deal to pay the successful developer a percentage of your revenue during the time she cross-promotes your app.