Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chachi44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Hey guys,

I have question that has been covered ad nauseam, but I have to ask...With the release of the new OS, is it worthwhile to get pick up an Apple Watch for health benefits? I am not a runner nor hiker by any stretch, so those apps although helpful, are kinda useless to me.

I am looking to see people's opinions on what useful health and fitness apps are out now or on the horizon. I know everyone would love some sort of blood pressure monitor, but that's sounds like some component upgrade would be required to support that.

Other than the added motivation to get to the gym and meet my daily goals, what should entice me to pick one of these bad boys up?

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Chachi44

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hey guys,

I have question that has been covered ad nauseam, but I have to ask...With the release of the new OS, is it worthwhile to get pick up an Apple Watch for health benefits? I am not a runner nor hiker by any stretch, so those apps although helpful, are kinda useless to me.

I am looking to see people's opinions on what useful health and fitness apps are out now or on the horizon. I know everyone would love some sort of blood pressure monitor, but that's sounds like some component upgrade would be required to support that.

Other than the added motivation to get to the gym and meet my daily goals, what should entice me to pick one of these bad boys up?

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Chachi44
I don't track fitness with my watch. Yes I like filling the rings every day but I use it for the notification and glances side. It's increased my phones battery life (not that I had issues before) but with reduced screen time from checking notifications, I could going by my general usage charge my phone once every 2.5 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chachi44

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not aware of any new health metrics being added in watchOS 2, it still just tracks steps, heart rate, distance, calories.

With 3rd party accessories though you will be able to track blood pressure and other health readings. Apple even showed a 3rd-party app that tracks a pregnant mother's and baby's heartbeats, with the ability to send that data directly to the doctor.

A couple big changes in watchOS 2 regarding health features, is now 3rd-party apps will be able to access the heart rate sensor (and display that reading in their Watch app) and also 3rd-party apps will be able to save fitness tracking data to the Activity app (previously I believe only the Watch Workout app could write data to this app).

Reactions: Chachi44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.