Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Irfan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Irfan macrumors newbie

I've been a pc person working in IT for years and years, application programming, web stuff and image editing etc. but since having used my friends Mac and taken up photography seriously, I wanna give it a go but without spending too much money.

So, my thoughts were to get an iMac now, then if all good maybe in a year or two get a mac pro.

My newbie question is, if I bought the iMac now and bought the Mac Pro in a year, can I run the Mac Pro off the iMac screen or would I need to stil go out and buy a big screen seperately?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You would need to buy another screen. The iMac has no graphics input.

3. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I'm not big on picture editing, but I hear you don't wanna work with a glossy screen. Supossedly, it increases the saturation or something

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

best bet if you want save/spend the same (give or take) amount of money on an iMac; Apple always has really great refurbed and refreshed models:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...e.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA1&nclm=CertifiedMac

they have a pretty good standard with them and the warranty is identical to purchasing a new system if im not mistaken, might wanna look into the site a bit more. but they have the previous intel gen iMacs available, without the glossy screen at each various sizes.

the only application i believe exists to use the imac screen with any computer is Screen Recycle, or screenrecycler but i dont know how good it is or if its even worth the hassle.

goodluck

5. Irfan thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Irfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for my new Mac Pro

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thank you all.

I decided to not go for the iMac 2.8 but last night I just so happened to walk past the Apple store in Manchester ;o) on a lads night out for a curry and did an impulse purchase of a new Mac Pro.... Yes!!!

I'm in love... again... I have to say that, otherwise my wife will kill me... hehe..

I couldn't keep my eye off the car all night in case someone ran off with it and I'd end up Macless...

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

An impulse purchase of a Mac Pro. And didn't clear it with the wife first!

I bow down to you my friend! Move over Batman and meet my new hero!

I used to go for lads night out in Manchester too, long long ago.

Seriously, you're my hero.

8. Irfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I mentioned I was popping out for some fruit and came back with an Apple... lol..

She kinda knew, just not exactly what, when and how much... ;o)

9. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

My impulse buy was a used Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 model with 8 ram slots :) on ebay about 3 weeks ago. I got the Power Mac G5 to replace my Power Mac G4. Scaried the heck out of me because I didn't hear anything from the seller for 13 days :eek:, and then on the 14 day he shipped it and I got it 2 days later last Wednesday :cool:.

I wish I could afford an impulse by of a Mac Pro . . . even a used one, but I do love my Power Mac G5, I will get a Mac Pro someday once the prices drop on eBay!

-iGrant

10. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I can imagine "alright if I pick up a new computer sometime love?".

She assumes some 500.00 PC, "sure, go for it".

He thinks "yes, Mac store here I come".

Plonk down what, 2g?

11. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I just hate those night out trips... It started with me with a motorcycle two years ago! Went looking at a Yamaha/Kaw and came home with a Harley Davidson...all black and chrome. Now, it is with the Mac. Spent a night in a Mac Store in Columbus two months ago, and came home and ordered this beast over the phone!

...my wife is still in shock since the Harley thing!!!