Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tragedies, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Ill be buying an unlocked 2.5G iPhone soon, and was wondering what to do when a new update comes out.

Obviously, I shouldnt update from the Software Update or whatnot (I assume that will harm my iPhone). So what steps should I take? Will there a file on the internet that I can download manually and put on my iPhone? How would I go about doing this?

Just wanted to ask before buying an unlocked 2.5G iphone.

-mikey

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I think the answer is:
    1. Make sure you know what firmware your phone is on when you get it. Read the sticky on this forum and just generally gen yourself up on the terminology and on the various methods for unlocking, jailbreaking, restoring etc
    2. When there is a new version out and you know you want to upgrade to it, read this forum and the many others that exist to find out when / how it is safe to do so. (For example, you'd find out right now NOT to do the 2.0 upgrade!)
    3. Once it's safe, read up as much as you can on the process of getting from YOUR CURRENT VERSION to the new one, get all the necessary tools, and then follow instructions to the smallest detail