Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tragedies, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Ill be buying an unlocked 2.5g iPhone once the high priced cool down, for use with Optus in Australia. Ive read the few help threads and they've all been great, but Ive got some questions, if you guys could answer i'd appreciate it =D

1) Has anyone officialy tried using the 1st gen iPhone with Optus prepaid?
    2) How does firmware work? When Apple releases a firmware, should we wait for an unlocked version?
    3) How long does a firmware update to be released take after Apple's release? Hours? Days? Weeks?
    4) Is it safe to use the current 1st gen iPhone unlocked? Are there enough in population in the world that there will be an unlocked/jailbroken firmware for some time to come?

Basic questions there. Hope you guys can help.

-mikey

2. tim370 macrumors newbie

Mikey,

1) I havent tried optus prepaid but ive been using optus postpaid for 6months and i've had no troubles. I am 99.9% you'll be fine with a prepaid sim.

2) In our case we should under no circumstances update our firmware through iTunes when apple release an update because it will re-lock the phone. You need to wait for a crack to be released in which you just follow the instructions and/or read about other peoples experiences when its released to update the firmware.

3) I'm assuming you meant to ask how long it takes for a crack to be released after apple releases the firmware update. The answer to this is variable. The 2.0 firmware got released officially (with the phones) on friday the 11th and claims have been made that its already cracked, and a jailbreak (the ability to add 3rd party unsupported applications)/unlocking program will be released in the coming week. But it hasn't always been that quick - usually it a few weeks before something is released.

4) There were tens of thousands of first generation iPhones brought to Australia and unlocked in the year since its release. This alone shows the popularity of the 1st generation device and because it runs the same firmware as the brand new 3g phone any crack that is released for the new phone should work for the old one

Hope that helps mate. If you're thinking of buying a second hand 16gb 1st gen phone feel free send me a private message - i'm thinking of putting mine up on eBay in the next week or so (but i'm more inclined to sell it to a forum member) because i'm eligible to upgrade my optus plan for a free 3g iPhone. I'm just waiting for the hype to die down and the stocks to replenish ...could be a while :)