Newbie question?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikos, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ikos macrumors regular

I recently started using OS X and was wondering what do you do with all the things you download in your download folder after it's been installed? For example in my downlaod folder I have skype, bean, istat pro, caffeine etc... All these apps are up and running, can I just delete all of them from the download folder or do they have to be there for some reason?

Thanks, and I know this is probably a stupid question!

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

You can delete the .DMG that you get after downloading an app (only if that is the file type being downloaded, which it is most of the time for those apps). You will need to keep the app itself to be able to run it.

I know that caffeine is not a .DMG, it downloads the app itself is is placed in the downloads folder. If you want to clear out your downloads folder, you should move the app to the Applications folder.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Quit all those running applications and move them to your applications folder. All applications should be dragged into the applications folder after they have been downloaded. This way you keep all yours apps in one, central location. You can delete the .dmg disk image files that apps often come in, but not before the app inside has been dragged to your applications folder.