Newbie (questions about dealing with items on the disk)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oSutrooper, Aug 14, 2008.

1. oSutrooper macrumors member

oSutrooper

I finally took the leap and bought a g5 iMac and have a couple of questions.

1. Can you format the hard drive like you could in windows.

2. The guy we bought it from left a lot of stuff on it. What is the best way to wipe it clean.

3. There is about 10 gigs of music on it that I would like to merge into my itunes. What should I do before moving mine over so that it doesn't disappear

Thanks in advance

2. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

To keep the music you should back it up on an external HD, as for erasing all the other material I would suggest you reinstall whatever OS is currently on it, Leopard, Tiger, etc. If you don't have the install CD's I would suggest you get them somehow because they are the best way to erase the HD and allow you to start with a fresh install.

Cheers

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the world of Apple and welcome to the forum. You'll love the world of Mac, juts give yourself time to adapt to the small - but still significant - differences. I'm a recent switcher, and I love my MBP. Re your query, I'd recommend the same. Back up the music onto an external drive, and re-install the OS; the person you bought it from should have the discs and I suggest that you try to obtain them. Good luck with the switch. Cheers.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Use an external HD to backup the music and thus add it to your own collection.
    for the fresh install, i recommend using the system restore disc, just ask the guy he should give it to you, and go into disk utility via the disc and erase everything, and then install.

Don't know what you mean by reformatting like in windows, but using the system restore disk and accessing disk utility allows you to wipe hard drives and such.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Make sure that when you boot to the system restore discs and do the install of the OS, you do a full format and install, there should be an "options" button at the bottom of the installer screen during the part where you select what hard disc you would like to install the OS on.

Other than that, welcome to the forums and to the rest of your computing life :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR -- You'll get better responses (and annoy fewer people) if you make your thread title relevant to the question.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications here and here and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!