Newbie Questions About JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Spyderturbo007, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

I'm seriously considering jailbreaking my iPhone 4 since it's so simple these days, but I have a couple really basic questions that I can't seem to find answers to in the forums.

1. Once you jailbreak can you still sync to iTunes like normal?

2. Where do your jailbroken apps go that you purchase when you sync? Meaning, do they stay on the phone, or get transferred to the computer like normal apps.

3. Are there any compatibility problems with existing apps downloaded from the Apple store and the new JB software? There are a couple apps I use daily to run my business.

4. Can you still use the iTunes store to download apps and songs from Apple's store?

5. When I sync to my computer, do my old (pre-jailbroken) backups get replaced with a jailbroken backup? Meaning that I need to save one or two of the old backups in case I want go back to the way things were before the jailbreak.

6. How do you pay for apps from the Cydia store? Something like PayPal?

Thanks for your patience with my stupid questions. :D

2. Spyderturbo007 thread starter macrumors member

I guess these questions are more difficult than I thought. Oh, well. I'll figure something out.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You may have not gotten any replays seen those question have been answer several times on very recents post. quick search will give you ton and ton of thread to read.

Start here, this user had similar question and I listed several more post related, I think you will find all your answer there.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=986693

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

:)

5. dangson macrumors newbie

1. Yes. Syncing works just fine.

2. They stay on the phone. They do not show up in iTunes in the Apps section, but you can still use iTunes to move their icons around.

3. Not that I've encountered. All my apps from the App Store are working fine.

4. Yes.

5. Yes, they do get replaced.

6. Depends on the app. I paid for BiteSMS (highly recommended JB app, btw) through their website using my credit card.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

answers above in red

Edit: I see everyone decided to answer this while I was posting. :)

7. dgstan macrumors 6502a

1. Once you jailbreak can you still sync to iTunes like normal?
    Yes

2. Where do your jailbroken apps go that you purchase when you sync? Meaning, do they stay on the phone, or get transferred to the computer like normal apps.
    The non-apple apps stay on the phone. If you were to use JB apps to download cracked Apple apps (to avoid having to pay for them - a big no-no), they can be set to transfer to your iTunes.

3. Are there any compatibility problems with existing apps downloaded from the Apple store and the new JB software? There are a couple apps I use daily to run my business.
    Some of the packages you can get on Cydia do cause problems because they are not iPhone 4 compatible or they plain don't work right. Keep track of what you are loading so you can back it out at the first sign of any problem.

4. Can you still use the iTunes store to download apps and songs from Apple's store?
    Absolutely.

5. When I sync to my computer, do my old (pre-jailbroken) backups get replaced with a jailbroken backup? Meaning that I need to save one or two of the old backups in case I want go back to the way things were before the jailbreak.
    On my system, I see several versions of backups that iTunes is maintaining. However, I do not have a concrete answer to this question and would be interested to get the real story. People always ask this question and no one ever seems to have a real answer.

6. How do you pay for apps from the Cydia store? Something like PayPal?
    I have used PayPal.