Newbie questions - Prepping myself for a new (used) MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Speeding Wheels, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Speeding Wheels macrumors newbie

As I stated in another thread I am expecting my very first Mac to be delivered this coming thursday. I found what I thought was a very good deal ($355ish +tax) on the following configuration and pulled the trigger.

Core2Duo - 2.4Ghz
    2GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    (early 2008 Black MacBook)

I am a PC guy.. actually a PC tech. I do consumer and small business service as an independent contractor. Over the 10+ years of doing this I have come across a few customers who have had both PC's and Mac's. I can typically fumble my way through any questions they have with help from Google, but I wanted to get myself a Mac so I can actually learn whats going on and how to troubleshoot issues without needing to reference other sources.

Anyway.. here are the questions I have regarding my new baby... errrr... purchase ;)

1. The site I bought from states there is an OS installed, but they are notorious for not being accurate when it comes to that. They also clearly stated there is no OS disk or recovery media included. From what I've read, Snow Leopard can be installed on a blank drive without need for a Leopard install disk to reference. Is this true? Can I just run out to my local Apple store if there is no OS installed, buy the $29 SL disk and install without issue?

2. What is the first thing I should do once the MacBook is up and running?
    I need your tips, tricks, secrets and voodoo dances! I'm a total newbie to Mac and OSX... I literally know just about nothing!

I have a good bit of credit in iTunes right now, so if there are any "essential apps" I should look for please let me know. This machine is meant to be a learning tool first and foremost.

Thanks for your time in reading my long winded post.. I am grateful for any replies to the questions above :)

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

With macs there are really no tricks and voodoo dances are not needed. Head out to an apple store near you and buy the $29 dollar SL upgrade disk. You can fresh install from the disk. Once you SL installed you can opt to buy and install Lion OS upgrade from the mac app store on your mac.

Enjoy it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, I wouldn't buy a Mac from anyone, especially any business, that didn't include the original grey install disks. They are important to have and can be replaced by calling Apple. The seller should have done that prior to selling.

Having said that, you may find some useful information here:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User