newbie questions re: os x 10.4 and panics

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsfry, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jsfry macrumors newbie

HI ,
    I just got a macbook pro - my first mac (before had pc). I am new - very new. It was used and had a problem which I have just about solved - one of those kernal panics at bootup. Finally what helped was booting in single user mode and using the command: /sbin/fsck -fy
    Yet, it still panics every now and then.

A few questions:
    1. I have the original install discs from my friend who I brought it from - os x 10.4. If I boot from disc and run install of os x again will it over-write my data files or just the system files . I don't want to lose my data but I would like to reinstall system files and one or more may have become corrupt from all the powering down with the power button.

2. the battery seems extremely hot - way too hot. I suspect there may be a problem. Is this normal for macs? Is there anything one can do for this? The laptop runs better when the batter is out.

That's it for now.

Cheers,
    Jeff

2. Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

3. jsfry, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

jsfry thread starter macrumors newbie

further on

@ Mactasia: thanks for the link - very helpful.

re: computer (see my sig below).

Interesting that a hardware test flags the video controller - apparently there is a known issue with my video card in these laptops yet my display is fine. Rather I am concerned about how hot the computer gets esp. when the battery is in it. I am going to run a more extended hardware test overnight.

When the battery is out the computer seems to run fine. When its in it is more apt to freeze or experience a panic.

computer: mbp 3.1, os x 10.4, 2.2ghz mem, nvidia GeForce 8600M GT