newbie questions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Madd the Sane, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

I just bought Mac OS X Server and have a few questions. The main one is how do I get another machine to make use of the option "Make available for home directories"?

Also, how do I set it up for another Mac to use it as a server, i.e. have a computer show up under the hardware section.

2. simsaladimbamba

Did you buy the Lion Server app?
    Have you looked here yet?

3. Madd the Sane thread starter macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Yes, I did buy the OS X Server app. And installed it on my "server" mini. And no, I haven't looked at those manuals.

4. jackhdev macrumors 6502

The server will show up under "Hardware" in the Finder window if it provides File Sharing services or Screen Sharing. Set up File Sharing services in the Server app.

I only use Snow Leopard Server, not Lion yet, so I can't give you exact directions about home folder setup. Basically, you need to configure home folders for users on your server, I'm assuming using the Server app. Then on the client computers, open System Preferences, go to the Users & Groups pane, Login Options, Network Account Server, add the server to the list (adding the server to the list is called "binding" the client to the server). Let me know if you have any other questions.

5. Madd the Sane thread starter macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Okay, how do I make a computer a managed client? Or how do I verify a computer is a managed client?

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Once you know how to do it it's not bad, but answering this question in a text window in less than an hour is impossible.
    You need DNS running on some box in your network. Beyond that tidbit, see this link, and good luck reading!
    http://macs.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1.../help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.7/