Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fort-red-border, Mar 14, 2015.

1. fort-red-border macrumors newbie

Hi, so I apologize in advance if these questions are well-known or commonly asked. I did a bit of searching and couldn't find exact answers...

So I just bought one of these for my parents who are looking to cord-cut. I'm very familiar with Apple products but never used one of these myself. So in setting things up and looking around I noticed one major problem: a lot of the content I want to play via Apple TV is not directly on the interface. For example:

1. Hulu Plus - their catalog on the app is minuscule compared to the catalog when you log in via a computer.

2. History/A&E/Lifetime - when I go to activate these apps, Comcast is NOT listed as a company from the drop-down menu. I even tried the work-around as found on this site to no avail.

3. Airplay - I realize that I can use an iPhone/iPad/Laptop/etc to Airplay stuff that I can't find on the Apple TV itself but the whole impetus for getting Apple TV was to avoid the whole streaming/Airplay/Chromecast thing. I'm more than versed with it but I foresee it annoying my parents (old).

So basically what I'm looking to find out is is there any way to watch stuff like NBC, NBCSports, Hulu's full catalog, A&E, History, Discovery, ID, CNN, MSNBC, etc that DOESN'T require Airplay?

I FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT APPLE TV IS NOT TO BLAME FOR COMCAST AND HULU NOT OFFERING FULL CATALOGUES ON THE PLATFORM!

I just want to localize all of my parents TV-watching into one area so they're not overwhelmed and Apple TV is so close to doing that. Maybe I didn't do enough research, but any help here?

Thanks!

2. tbradnc macrumors member

I feel your pain. I'm trying to figure out how to cut the cable cord and I keep running into family members who don't get the dopamine rush I get when I figure out a convoluted way to make something stream. They just want to turn on the TV and *poof* - there's the channel.

There is no easy way to do what you want - it's like a jigsaw puzzle that has pieces that don't all fit together.

If you need "easy", keep a cheap cable package and hook up an Apple TV to it.