newbie questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i1alian085, Dec 28, 2008.

1. i1alian085 macrumors member

I just got my mbp for christmas and i am already a bit confused.

here are some concerns/questions

On my xp computer i could put an away message up on aim and hit log out.
    it would leave aim running and put up the password box.

on my mbp i have the option for it never to sleep on, so that i just put on my screen saver and walk away and that works the same.

my question is - how do i have my aim running - but switch users so that i can let my brother use a guest account - and mine still password protected.
    all i see is the log out, sleep restart and shut down buttons. but when i hit logout - it wants to close all of my programs.

please help with this. more questions to come. thank you!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When you switch users, messaging clients log out. I don't know if there is a way to stop this, nor do I know why you would want to stop this.

Also, a screensaver on an LCD screen does nothing but slowly kill the backlight. Turn your screensaver off and just tell the display to turn itself off after a set amount of time.

3. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

tell me specific settings and where to find them... newbie...

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Okay. Click system preferences in your dock. Then Click accounts.

Then click log-on options. Then click "Enable fast user switching"

This will put either a username, or icon depending on what you choose in the menu bar. Click it to switch users without logging out. This keeps your user account running in the background (password protected) while the other one opens.

If you use iChat, it will automaticly set your status to away when you do this. If you use AIM or Adium it will stay open but you need to change your presence setting yourself

5. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

perfect... now how about the whole screen setting thing.

i dont want the screen to kick me off of ichat if i get up and walk away. but that other guy said that a screen saver will burn out the screen or somethng.

what settings should i use? and where?

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I think what he means is that leaving the screen on all the time will burn it out quickly. To prevent this WITHOUT the computer going to sleep do this

Click System Preferences
    Click Energy Saver
    Slide "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for:" to never
    Slide the "Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for:" to whatever suits your fancy BUT NOT NEVER!. I'd say about 5 mins.

7. Desamell Guest

Tell your brother not to touch ur AIM account?

8. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

and just have no screen saver.

now what about if i closed the notebook. will it kick me off of everything?

9. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

No you CAN have a screensaver, but the screen (not the rest of the computer) will turn off after the time you set.

Since I do not have a laptop I don't know where the option is that tells the computer what to do when you close it. Try the options tab in energy saver. It should let you select sleep, shutdown, nothing, etc.

Select soemthing along the lines of Nothing/TUrn of display/swtich uses.

10. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

Yeah, if you close it it will disconnect from Wifi. The contents of RAM are written to the HD and the computer enters a low-power state where nothing executes.

As previous posters have recommended, the best thing to do is to leave it open and set the screen to sleep. This will leave the machine running, and leave your AIM logged in. If you use the Fast User Switching menu you can log out while leaving any application running. Your account password will be required to log back in.

--mAc

11. himynameisjon macrumors newbie

himynameisjon

you should also try locking your computer when the screen closes, so when you put it into sleep and close the screen its locked and those applications cant get pulled up because no user is logged in, that could work