Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mphtrilogy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. mphtrilogy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got in on one yesterday after stalking Bestbuy religiously the last week (I had gift cards that were burning a hole in my pocket :)), I finally found one near where I work and was able to get it before the employees even knew it was in stock. It's amazing that the online instock alert for Bestbuy works really well.

1) I installed a ton of apps, but I was not sure how to expand some apps meant for the iPhone to make them appear full size on the iPad?

2) How do you get Airvideo to work? Can someone give me a quick tutorial rundown? I have a Tivo, and I have moved a bunch of old movies on my external hard drive I would love to be able to access.

3) Finally, I downloaded a bunch of apps, but since I do not have an iphone or itouch, I would appreciate if you could give me some of your favorite apps, and ones for the kids as well.

Thanks!!

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

This should really be in >

Mac Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

I believe there's a button to force it into double pixels.

3. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

Yeah, to make an iPhone app bigger, there should be a button on the bottom right that says like 2x or something.

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I think if the app doesn't have that little button then you'll have to wait for it to be updated

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

Every iPhone app has that button. It's not dependent on the developer. It's a function of the iPad's iOS version.

6. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

1. There's a 2x button to push on the bottom right of the screen to expand the iPhone apps.

2. Airvideo is pretty much self explanatory although I don't believe you can stream the .tivo format directly. I think you have to convert to a different format. Check their site or Google it.

3. I use the Netflix app quite a bit but it requires a Netflix subscription. I have a bunch of other apps that I don't really use that much. I spend most of my time in Safari, Mail, and Netflix. The Weather app is convenient as well as the Photo Transfer app. When I need some productivity, I use either the iWork Suite or QuickOffice HD. A printer app maybe necessary for you as well. I use the print 'n share one which is handy but it requires an application running on a desktop to work much like Air Video.

Enjoy.

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I usually go to Safari, Mail, and iPod for the default apps. For games, I love Geometry Wars, Meteor Blitz, Mirror's Edge, Minigore, Real Racing, Zombieville, Spirit, and TowerMadness. For news, I just use one excellent app, Pulse. Others that I find myself using often are Wolfram Alpha, Wikihood, Pages, and AirMouse.

Pulse: Have up to 20 feeds of news from different sites or RSS sources.

Wolfram Alpha: Before Googleing something, try finding it here.

Wikihood: Everything that you want and don't want to know about your region's history.

Pages: The iWork classic.

Airmouse: you'll never have to leave your couch again!

iPadding (yes, now I christen it an official word) is addictive.