Newbie Random sound question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by leigh.roy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. leigh.roy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I got my first mac a couple months ago, and it's been a mostly positive experience, but there is one thing I haven't been able to work out. Everyone now and then the computer makes a random 'boing' sound. It's not the system beep, and I don't have Mail running, so it's not that. What is this noise, and why is it doing it?

2. NeoLink macrumors member

NeoLink

What apps do you have open then the sound happens? When does it happen? Do you think you do anything to make it do that?

3. leigh.roy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well last night it made the sound when it was sitting next to the bed doing nothing. I had Transmission open, and that was it. I guess it might of finished downloading something. Other times however I have just been browsing the web, Mail open, makes the noise, but no new email, and nothing else that might of triggered the sound that I am aware of.

Just seems strange. It's not a problem or anything.

4. ctango macrumors member

ctango

3 beeps at random.

I've had the same problem now for a few weeks on my G5 iMac. It just beeps three times for no reason! It beeps if I am not even at work *night guy said it was driving him crazy*. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It will beep, then beep 6 minutes later, then beep an hour later. Completely random! I'm about to format and re-install the system hoping to get rid of it.

It's happened with these applicatoins open: FireFox, iTunes, Console, Mail, & MenuShade. I also have the background process of Google Mail (and calendar), growl, and google desktop.

Anybody have any ideas?

OMG! It just did it again! As I was typing the freakin' title to this post! It's driving me crazy!

5. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

Could it be something with Mail? Perhaps a junk email being sent to the junk mail folder? I know mine always startles me with the sending mail sound because it will lag and send the email a few minutes after I initially pressed send. There's probably a junk mail sorting noise too.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

transmission does do make a small noise, it sounds like a glass chime when it finishes downloading.

7. macdot macrumors 6502

Plug in some headphones, see if it still make the sound in/out of the headphones.