Newbie-Refurb vs. New question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by goblue10, Jan 29, 2009.

1. goblue10 macrumors newbie

Sorry for what's probably a common question but I haven't really found an answer anywhere yet.
    I'm about to purchase a laptop for college and I have decided a Macbook would be my best bet in terms of portability, lasting a long time, etc. I have been looking at the refurb page on the Apple website for the past week or two and now with the upgrade of the white Macbook, I am starting to question what to get.
    I'm not very familiar with computer processers and I can't decide which would suit me best. The options would be:
    1. New white Macbook with 2.0GHz processor and the Nvidia card
    2. Refurb white Macbook with either 2.1 or 2.2GHz processor
    Both would be similiar in terms of RAM with either 1 or 2 GB and hard drive of 120 or 160 GB. I understand that refurb is to help save a bit of money but it seems like buying a new machine would be better. My question is will the slight downgrade in processor affect the performance of the machine at all? I plan on using it for school assignments, internet, iTunes, and a bit of music editing.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

2. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

What's your timeframe for the purchase? Can you get any educational discount? Do you need firewire?

The refurbs are great. I've bought them on behalf of my wife, sister, parents, and students. The opinion on this board is strongly positive as well, which is telling, considering how those with bad experiences are often more vocal than those who are pleased.

On the one hand you can get an unibody macbook for $1100 refurb, or a new whitebook for $999 (probably $949 with education discount). If firewire were not important to me, I'd get the unibody, simply because I think the multitouch trackpad is a wonderful input device, one that will become more important over the years (as more third parties write software that utilizes it). And it looks sweet.

If those things aren't important, and you want to save $150 (or you *need* firewire, get the whitebook.

Edit: oh, you're not considering the unibody, just the new and old whitebook. Get the new one. OpenCL in Snow Leopard will like the better graphics card.

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I would have to agree that A refurb is a great choice to go with, they even come with the 1 yr warrenty.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think the refurbished aluminum MacBook is the best value of any Mac currently for sale. The aluminum unibody MB is much more solidly built and has an incredible all around value for the average user. The PlasticBook is well, plastic, and prone to cracking. If you NEED FireWire, then maybe plastic is an alternative. Good luck.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

This is one of the first times I am advising not going refurb. The new white MacBooks with the nvidia graphics are so much more better than its older siblings. It will be well worth it in the long run, trust me.

If you're a student, take advantage of the education discount as well.

Either way, for $999 it's a great deal now that it has the 9400m.

6. goblue10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go with the new Whitebook and since I'll get the student discount, $950 sounds good.
    Two other things:
    1. 120GB hard drive will be enought memory right? I see all the other companies putting in 250 or 350 GB, which makes the Macbook look like nothing. Like I said before, I'll just have school papers and music on it.
    2. I assume the Whitebook comes with iLife? On the Apple website, it does say it comes with the aluminum, but the Whitebook page doesn't really mention it.

Thanks again

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

1. 120GB should be enough for what you're using it for. If/when you need more space, you can easily upgrade the internal hard drive because it is user upgradable and wont void your warranty if you do so. Hard drives are really cheap now a days, but I don't think you should upgrade until you really need to.

2. It will come with iLife 08 for sure. iLife '09 just came out so there is a chance that it will be included in the box. If its not, you can easily order iLife '09 from Apple for only 9.95+tax since you're buying a new MacBook
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

8. CSilver macrumors 6502

I was in the same situation as you are now. I ended up choosing the Refurb Alum Macbook 2.0GHz over refurb white and refurb Alum 2.4GHz. I haven't received the Macbook yet but I am thrilled and can't wait XD I hope you make a wise decision ;D

9. goblue10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, hopefully it treats you well.

I'm starting to second guess my choice now. I've seen some aluminums on the refurb page for $1099, which seems like a great deal. But what is the advantage on these over the newer whitebooks? If I plan to keep it for a few years, would I be benefited by getting the aluminum for future compatabilities or programs?