Newbie resources :)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by cr0fty, Jun 8, 2012.

1. cr0fty macrumors newbie

Hi all.

First post here so I thought I would start with this.

I'm soon to be the proud owner of a 13" MacBook Air :) (Excited much!). Never had a Mac before but once it arrives I'm hoping to learn the programming side of things. Now I did Java at University but that was 10 years ago so I am going to be a bit rusty.

The Air isn't going to arrive for another month so I am looking around, trying to find a decent book to read to get me started along the iOS development path.

In the FAQ section it recommends this book Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X Is there much difference between this one (3rd Edition) and the new 4th edition; apart from the newer one being cheaper?

Also if anyone can recommend any other books/eBooks that they feel may be better for me then please, feel free.

Cheers,
    Cr0fty

2. littfam macrumors regular

Two books for now. Steven Kochan "ProgrammIng in Objective-C 4th edition", and "iOS developing the Big Nerd Ranch". These will get you started. Everyone learns at at different pace/style, but I started by reading into chapter 5 in Mr. Kochan's book, and then alternated between each chapter-by chapter. Big Nerd Ranch is a "fun" book and "programming in objective-c is an essential book to learning the language. If you take the time to read and understand Steven's book, then it all falls into place! Do what they say and just trust the authors and write/de-bug code to correct errors. I'm still in the early stages myself, but definitely just write, write and more writing! Did I mention writing code. Write code. Write code. Even if you don't understand what your writing. Then de-bug. Oh and by the way....... Write code!

3. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

why is it taking a month for your macbook air to arrive?

4. cr0fty thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm getting it through a scheme at my girlfriends work, they take the payments out of her wage each month before tax so it works out cheaper. It's going to take that long for them to process the paperwork etc and get it delivered

5. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

I started with this combo of books and still refer to both of them all the time.

6. cr0fty thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome guys. Thanks. If I just wants the one book to get me started I presume the objective c one would be the one to get

7. cr0fty thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just looked at the books on Amazonia and its cheaper to order them from the US website and pay international shipping than it would be to buy them from the UK with free shipping

8. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Are there no eBook equivalents?

9. cr0fty thread starter macrumors newbie

There are but they are more expensive than the paperback version and I like the thought of having a physical copy :)

10. littfam macrumors regular

Yes, you definitely will want to start with that one. The author does a great job guiding those new to objective-c. The other book assumes some prior knowledge of the language.

11. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I am reading the Big Nerd Ranch on Object C.

Very, very good.

The author takes you through some C first - and what is required to know before going into Object C - he then starts of with Object C as if it was a new language.

I certainly recommend it. :cool:

12. cr0fty thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have a look at this one too. Thanks :)

This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between Objective-C and Cocoa?

13. firewood macrumors 604

Objective C is the programming language, and Cocoa includes all the subroutines, methods and other OS APIs required to do anything useful in the language.

14. cr0fty thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah cool thanks. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Is Xcode free or do you have to purchase it? Also will this do all the testing, debugging & compiling for me or will I require additional software?

15. mydeblob macrumors newbie

Xcode can compile, debug and test all at the click of a button :)