Newbie seeks advice on mobile phone choice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luis Ortega, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I'm not much of a mobile phone user.
    My last phone had its sim card cancelled because I didn't use it for months at a time, so that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from.
    I got into Macs last year and really like the system and now have a MBP and a Mac Pro, both of which I love after being a windows person for 12 years.
    I was considering getting a new phone and thought that if the phone had some interesting features I might actually use it more, although not necessarily to make phone calls, since I don't really make many calls and rarely have ever sent a text message.
    I do travel a bit, around Europe and in the US.
    This is what I think would be nice to have:

a touch phone like how the iphone works
    unlimited internet
    ability to get and send emails
    a real/virtual keyboard rather than a number pad with several letters on each
    a gps capability for sat nav type location maps
    a decent camera
    bluetooth to connect to my computers
    a pay as you go service for the few phone calls I might make
    able to use those features wherever I am in the world

The iphone seems to have all this except for the poor camera, plus the ads say unlimited internet for the first year- but then what happens?
    Also, I have noted that some users find it has several glitches in the features that it offers.
    The initial cost of the phone is not the main consideration, but I refuse to pay high running costs to get the other features and a contract with lots of minutes and texts is completely useless for me as I might actually make a couple of calls a month and probably no texts.

Is there a phone for me? Or am I delusional?

2. Xenophos macrumors newbie

Is the iPhone for you? Yes and no. It also doesn't link to your Mac via bluetooth. BT is only for hooking up devices (headsets and the like). Go figure.

I think most people have discovered they're not going through as much data as they thought they would - you might not need more than 250Mb - 500Mb. But it really is very good for surfing the web and adequate for email (evidently not as good as Blackberry, which I haven't used). And of course, loads of apps make this a truly superb device.

As for phone plans, that really depends on your carrier. Problem is the carriers all make their money from phone calls and text. You'd probably need to get an unlocked phone and go from there, but that's expensive upfront.

Sorry, can't vouch for other devices.

Happy hunting!

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

a touch phone like how the iphone works: iPhone, G1, HTC Touch

unlimited internet: All carriers offer this for price or you can gamble on WiFi access

ability to get and send emails: All PDAs/SmartPhones offer this and some 'Regular' phones

a real/virtual keyboard rather than a number pad with several letters on each: All PDAs/SmartPhones offer this

a gps capability for sat nav type location maps: NOT an iPhone option ATM, however other PDAs/SmartPhones offer this and some 'Regular' phones

a decent camera: Define 'decent" I find the camera on the iPhone decent for a cell phone, others feel the iPhone should have a 10megapixel 400x zoom Red eye flash camera.

bluetooth to connect to my computers: NOT an iPhone option ATM, however other PDAs/SmartPhones offer this and some 'Regular' phones

a pay as you go service for the few phone calls I might make: Buy the phone outright from AT&T (still carrier locked in the USA)+TurboSIM or Rebel SIM or gamble on an eBay unlocked iPhone from another country.

able to use those features wherever I am in the world: most GSM phones will meet this need

4. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, guys.
    So, what is this synching I read about that happens between the iphone and the computer?
    How do people transfer their music, say, from their computers to their iphones or ipods?
    Do they still use wires or is there another wireless method to get this done?
    I'm pretty ignorant about all of this.
    I just want a device that has the sort of touch screen features that the iphone has, can surf the net, get gps maps (not necessarily satnav) transfer photos or songs back and forth between it and my Mac, read and send emails and make the occasional phone call. And do this both in Europe or in America without costing an arm and a leg.
    Maybe that's too much to ask?

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

it's all thru wires,, take a look at the nokia n95 very very nice phone, does all you want you are only missing the touch screen

6. Aurial macrumors 6502

Nokia will be the best bet for you in terms of maps too. Most smartphone rely on software provided by copilot, tomtom or the like. These companies offer annual or by-annual map updates at a price. Nokia bought either Navteq or Teleatlas last year who provide all the maps for satnav products. They offer frequent map updates throughout the year at no cost.

The N95, although it's still probably the best 'do everything' handset on the market today, has a numeric keypad. You might want to look at the E71.