Newbie Skype and Chrome questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blu101, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Hi, received my 1st mac ever today. So far, so good, I like it much better than my old Dell. Set up was easy, and I even upgraded the HD, and all online software updates.

Couple questions:

I downloaded google chrome and skype, and I noticed that both applications generate a main application icon (the one you click to start the program), along with an icon that lands on the desktop that looks like an HDD or something - what is this for? Do I need it to run the program? Is it trash?

With chrome, I also see 3 other files, named google chrome alias, alias (2) and alias (3) all three use the same HDD looking icon - do I need these?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The icon on the Desktop is the .dmg file, which you can Trash after you've installed the app.
    Alias files are the same as Windows shortcuts.

3. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Sweet, so I can trash the alias files as well?

One odd thing I noticed too...with skype, I can see it on my applications folder in the finder and the applications folder on the dock, but I can only see chrome in the applications folder in the finder, it doesn't show in the applications folder on the dock. I've tried to drag and drop, but doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: says I cant delete the skype.dmg file because it's in use...?? I already quit the program...not using it :confused:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes
    The applications folder on your Dock is just an alias. You can drag it off the Dock and it will disappear in a puff of smoke. Then you can drag a fresh copy from Finder to the right side of the Dock. After you do, right-click on the icon on the Dock (it won't look like a folder at first) and select "Display as... Folder". Anything that appears in that folder in Finder will also appear in the alias of the folder on the Dock.

ScreenCap 3.PNG ScreenCap 4.PNG
    Make sure you've quit the install process. Use Command-Tab to move through open apps. You can always just log out and log back in to release the file, as a last resort. Then you can eject and Trash it.

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I think you need more clarification on dmg.
    "dmg" stands for disk image. When you double click on it, the system mounts a virtual volume containing the files you downloaded. You have to copy those files to your Applications folder first, then eject the virtual volume and then only delete the .dmg file.

Hope I'm clear enough,

Cheers!

6. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Everything worked, your attached pic helped out a lot. Thanks for the help!

7. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Cool, I've never seen a .dmg file before, no clue what it is/was :(

I also learned that alias = shortcut link :)

Lovin this machine so far :D

8. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

9. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

It's just the beginning ;).
    Once you go Mac, you never go back.

10. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I used the MBP yesterday from when I got it, around lunch time, to 3am.

During this time, I checked out the apple manual, the MBP itself (very well built IMO!), everything that came with it, upgraded (installed) a 7k500 HD from Hitachi, re-installed OS X and iLife09, optimized my preferences, checked all system specs, set up my wireless network (this only took 2 secs!)downloaded Web of Trust for Safari and Chrome, downloaded Chrome, downloaded Skype, created an iTunes account, downloaded two movies from their blu-ray digital copies that I had (will do more today), web surfed a bit, checked my e-mail online, downloaded the iStat Pro widget (awesome little widget) and video skyped with my gf for about an hour. All this on a single battery charge (had it down to ~11%, at which time I started a recharge).

What I DIDN'T get was any junk pop ups, error messages, freezes, crashes or anything else that defines a windows OS experience. Happy? Oh yeah! :cool:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, you have to pay extra for those on a Mac (unless you install Windows on Boot Camp!) :D
    With your Mac, you'll also miss out on all the fun with viruses: Mac Virus/Malware Info

Glad you're enjoying it!