Newbie SMS question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sonoran, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Sonoran macrumors member

Just got my 3G this weekend & having lots of fun.

I sent a friend a text message and she didn't know who I was. I am new to texting. Is there a way to set up a signature for texting like I have for email or do I need to add my name to each text?

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Once she's added your number to her contact list with your name by it, you won't need to tell her who it is each time. I very much doubt there is a way of attaching signatures to texts, but unless you find yourself texting a lot of people who don't know your number I don't see why you'd need to.

3. Sonoran thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. I don't think she had my cell number. We usually email or I call her from my office number. I will have to keep that in mind.

BTW: Great signature! I really did laugh out loud.

4. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Good, glad you're sorted :)

5. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

there is no way to add a signature to your texts. however I think I is nessacary. it's a good touch just like in an email if you want to put your title or a meaningful quote at the end of the message

6. iblastoff macrumors 6502

thats the dumbest idea ever. why would you need a signature on a text thats only limited to a few characters.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I completely agree. I hate stupid sms signatures. I hate when people put their names or some dumb saying at the end. It is just a waste of characters and makes the actual message even shorter.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

So everytime I text basically, your saying it's ok to see this?

Having to enable/disable is a pain so I'm glad we DONT have this feature. But it's an opinion, to me, the above conversation seems ridiculous, especially with the ATT SMS char limit.

9. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

if it's such a dumb idea then why do other phones and carriers let u do it? it's just another way of personlizing. I get plenty of txt with sigs and it's not even that serious they may be one or two words that it

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

If it's someone you SMS regularly, they should add you as a contact. For others, just type in the start

Hi, (my name) here. <return>

message goes here.