Newbie - Stop MBP going into standby with lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigmichaelful, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bigmichaelful macrumors newbie

Hi guys, Michael here, just signed up, bought my first Mac last Friday, the 2011 MacBook Pro 15-inch, with 4Gb (which I changed to 8Gb a day later :)) love the new machine, it absolutely decimates my old gaming desktop PC on everything but GPU power. I’ll post some Geekbench scores later.

There is one gripe I have with the new machine however, that is that whenever I close the lid, the computer goes into standby. I’ve tried using the app, Caffeine, which doesn’t seem to help at all. This is very annoying as I like to leave my computer on at night downloading. Is there any work around this? I’ve read if you leave a mouse and display plugged in it won’t go into standby, but this isn’t an option as I don’t want to shell out £25 for the DVI adapter.

Cheers guys :)

----------

Running Lion btw

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think without an external monitor hooked up, it will always go into sleep mode.

I'm not sure if a DVI cable will prevent that as it may need to receive a signal from the monitor before deciding to go into sleep mode

3. Fugue macrumors 6502

Good question, I've always wondered myself.

I would love to let Steam download a game while the lid is closed.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Alternatively, you could set a hot corner/keyboard shortcut, which turns off the screen.

5. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

To add to this you can always turn the brightness all the way down hence turning off the screen..

6. satchow macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

SleepLess ($10) or Insomniax (free) will do this. Dumb that Apple won't let you do it natively.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally without a monitor hooked up, what use is the MBP running with the lid on. Couple that with potential heat increase for a laptop running with the lid closed increases the risk of overheating.

The need to have a MBP running w/o a monitor hooked up and the lid closed is quite low. Why engineer a solution to a tiny subset of users which may increase support costs for the majority.

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

9. satchow macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cop out. I've had numerous PC laptops that have this functionality built in and no overheating problems.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What about internet sharing in system preference? I close the lid and share the internet. I think it won't put it to sleep/standby or else it wouldn't be able to share the internet. Maybe try this?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What cop out, the fact is that MBPs do run hot. There is a risk for the regular consumer not to realize the MBP is running when they close the lid and it will get cook itself to death if they put the MBP into a case for travel with it on.

12. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Sleepless works great for me. Been using it since Tiger.