Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deniseinfl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Hi: I just picked up a 15" 2.4 MBP w/a glossy screen last night. I hate to say this, as I want to love this expensive purchase, but I am disappointed in the monitor. It doesn't seem sharp. I've played w/the display settings to no avail. Also, as another post indicated, movies (just a standard DVD) looked terrible. Didn't see pixels, but it was incredibly grainy. I lowered the resolution as talked about in that message, but that didn't help.

Any advice? Am new to Macs & maybe I'm missing something. Thanks much.

mark-itguy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
While I'm not a Mac expert, I have had a few, and have been an IT admin for over 10 years. I too just bought a SR LED MBP, but opted for the matte screen. At first I thought the same thing, that it did not look as sharp as my 6 month old Samsung flat panel. Even my old ThinkPad, and a real old iBook I used to have looked sharper. Then I remembered to calibrate it, which may or may not have made any improvment. Then I played with the brightness and the angle the lid was opened. Eventually I decided it was OK.

I think one thing that may be at play is, Windows XP and Vista use fints on the desktop that are very fine, while masy default OS X fonts are wider. BTW; adjust font smoothing too, that did help! Looking at thinner fonts on say a Web page made me realize the screen was could do it, so maybe trying to change some default system fonts would help.

The only other thought is that some of what I said may or may not apply to the glossy screen, but I'd give it a try.

Good Luck!

Deniseinfl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks

Hi: Thanks much for your suggestions. I did the things you suggested & do think the monitor looks a bit better. Wish it were sharper, but it's growing on me. The DVD deal is still terrible, though. If anyone has advice on how to improve this I'd really appreciate them.

Deniseinfl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks

Hi: Thanks much for your suggestions. I did the things you suggested & do think the monitor looks a bit better. Wish it were sharper, but it's growing on me. The DVD deal is still terrible, though. If anyone has advice on how to improve this I'd really appreciate them.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

I think DVDs on my display look simply amazing. I'm comparing to a desktop non-glossy samsung 215TW (a pretty good display) and I think the MBP is just as bright, sharp and fluid. I can't seen anything wrong with it at all. Having said that, glossy displays do look more contrasty and saturated so maybe it's about getting used to the matte?

Or, perhaps your display is defective? Unfortunately, that is a possibility. Either way, it should definitely not look terrible!

Deniseinfl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks again

Thanks, PDE. The picture I'm getting w/a DVD is really, really grainy. Maybe my screen is messed up. Will keep playing around w/it & may have to head back to the Apple store (2.5 hours away so it'll be a few days before I can do that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.