Newbie -- Terrible Apple Store experience, Genius Bar repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eh562300, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Eh562300 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am brand new, as you can see from my post count.

I have a MacBook Pro with Retina, 13.3 inches, manufactured late 2013, purchased March 5, 2014. Until today, it was a perfect computer. It has 16 megs of ram, my only upgrade.

However, today, mysteriously it kept freezing. I called Apple, and they suggested that I wipe the disk and reinstall (this was their last resort after an hour of trouble shooting) So I did, but kept the Genius Bar appointment.

When I got to the GB, the so-called Genius took my Macbook to the back, and came back and told me I had water damage, there was no way it could be repaired because my water damage meant not covered by the warranty, and it would cost $750 and 5-7 days to fix it. He helpfully suggested I contact my homeowners insurance.

I was stunned -- because I am able to use it in safe boot, and in fact, I am typing this very post on the computer in safe boot with no problem. Also, this computer NEVER gets damp, is kept in a cocoon case when not in use (a case within a case) and we live in drought country where it rarely rains (and even if it did, the mac would be in its double cocoon case). The Genius admitted that the LDI did not show up, but claimed that he could see liquid on the battery. This made no sense, and the computer is three and a half months old.

I took it home and spent a few more hours trying to fix it on my own, and have determined that Safari is the problem. Opera and Firefox work fine. When I try Safari, even shift/Safari, it won't work.

So I have two problems now -- 1) how to handle the situation with Apple; and 2) what to do about the safari situation.

Please give me your advice.

What do you suggest?

Thank you.

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

doesn't sound like water damage then, most likely repair permissions and find out what is corrupted.

the genius seems to be far from a genius, try someone/where else.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

There have been other people on this forum who experienced the exact same scenario as you.
    See another "genius".
    Remember for the future to always get insurance.

:apple:care is just nonsense.