Newbie thinking of buying Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cynergyou, Jul 16, 2014.

1. cynergyou macrumors newbie

hey All,

I work as an engineer and have been using mostly Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) devices lately. I do development work primarily in the Linux environment, but also need Windows to run apps like MS Office, etc.. I have used the Linux LibreOffice tools, and they are OK, but think I would like to buy a Macbook Air for home use. I like the development environment that the MacOS would offer, and I also like the fact that some key software packages (MS office, Turbotax, etc.) are available on the Mac platform.

I saw that Apple will be releasing the new Yosemite OS soon.

Is there any benefit/advantage to waiting to purchase my Macbook till after the new OS has been released? Does it cost a lot to upgrade the OS (I have no idea how Apple prices its software).

Thanks!

Cynergyou

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Since the release of Mavericks last year, Apple has made all of their OS upgrades free, so Yosemite will be a free upgrade no matter what. This obviously includes the stipulation that you have a mac that supports it, although you can technically now upgrade a hackintosh for free too. The only benefit of waiting until Fall would be for hardware upgrades. Broadwell, Intel's latest microprocessor generation, has been delayed because of fabrication issues, so the latest estimates indicate Apple will not refresh their hardware until 2015. If you want a MBA, now is not the worst time to purchase one.

Best,
    Matt

3. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

No need to wait

You can buy one now and when the new version of OSx is released you will be eligible for the update. Apple stopped charging fro OSx upgrades a while back.

4. cynergyou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the posts. Since it doesn't look like the hardware will be upgraded till 2015, i might as well take the plunge now.

Thanks again!

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Apple currently has an education deal for 50$ off plus a $100 Apple Store gift card, or you can get one for $140 off at BestBuy.

Oh, and even if the MBA doesn't get a refresh until 2015, it will most likely be revamped completely, which means a price hike and early adopter glitches. I just purchased a 2014 MBA and plan on getting the 2016 or 2017 MBA when it comes out.

Best,
    Matt

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As others have stated, the software upgrade will be free. I think now is a good time to buy an MBA. The Model released in April of this year is exactly like the 2013 model except it had a very slight bump in processor speed from 1.3 to 1.4GHZ.

The best deals as others have stated are through Best Buy or Apple's student discount. I would also look in Apple's refurbished section on their site. You can pick up a 2013 model refurb for significantly less than a new 2014 model and it is the essentially the same machine.

Apple's refurbished units come with brand new casing and a full warranty just like brand new unit would.

7. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

And the increase in battery power? Usage went up 3h if I'm not wrong.

8. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

I might wait a bit longer...

New MBAs may (or may not) be coming soon. We just do not know, nor do we know if Apple will push out bigger or smaller changes or if the prices will drop. So, IF you do not need a new computer immediately, I would be inclined to wait until September to see if there are any meaningful (to you) upgrades or price drops. If there is a new machine, the current '14 and recent '13 models will probably drop a bit in price and be more available in the refurb store. If nothing new comes out you haven't lost anything. Of course, if you really need a new machine now, just buy it- for my needs it is the best computer ever made and I could hardly ask for more. But everyone's needs and priorities are different. I will never go back to a Windows machine.

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The battery increase occurred from 2012 to 2013 models. The 2013 and 2014 models are the same.

10. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

12. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

2014 MBA is very pretty (Technology plus appearance).

However, the display is getting obsolete day by day....if something needs to be replaced, this is its monitor. :rolleyes:

13. nexus4life macrumors regular

Parallels will be your best friend. Install Windows and Ubuntu on it, and now you have all three OS's for anything you may need. And unless you are gaming in the VM's, you have near native speed (or faster in my case, because my desktop has SATA ssds @ around ~400 MB/S read, whereas I have been benchmarking my new MBA at around ~700-750MB/S read.)

Like others said, OS upgrades are free.

Further, don't forget about resale value. If for some reason they completely revamp macbook airs and you just HAVE to get your hands on it, be it this year or next (or whenever) - it's highly unlikely you'll get anything less than half of your money back when you go to sell it (assuming you keep it in good condition; also 8GB ram will definitely help you because 4GB as it is barely cuts it, but think about trying to sell that 2-3 years from now, nobody will want 4GB unless all they do is email)

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

4GB is plenty for the majority of users these days(especially on PCIe storage). 4GB of ram will be enough to email in 15 years.

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I'd recommend waiting. There was a window of opportunity to buy MBA's on a significant discount about a month ago... I picked up an 11" MBA for $650 @ Best Buy. That window is now closed.

But I think that there will be another window of opportunity within a month or so as a new school year and college term starts and those who have bought new devices will have already done so. That might be the time where some stores offer another sale to get rid of any excess inventory they might have.

16. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you haven't already purchased one, BestBuy has $100 off plus the $100 student discount. it is a decent deal, at $800 for the 13" model and $700 for the 11" model.

17. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Personally, I don't look for student discount (no kids at that age either) and I don't have any sales coupon in my pocket...thus, I go straight to Apple shop and order a BTO 13'' MBA without a second thought....$100 plus for extra RAM ....that's easy! :rolleyes:

18. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

He was just trying to help you save a few bucks.

19. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Then you are clearly not like the rest of us:eek:

Lou

20. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Thought I was the only one that thought that:)

21. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

As you understand, I respect your opinion but again, it's not a big deal and I will have 4 extra GB RAM in case I need them in the future.....this is the whole story!

----------

Come on Lou! This is not true....you know that! Simply, I don't have any discount and the extra cost is not too much for my pocket....it is safer to go with additional RAM, anyway. :apple:

22. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

It is really not that hard to get the student discount if you live in America. All you need is the promotion code, which you can get from this forum, and type it in online to save $200. It is actually more than $100 for the RAM. It is at least $150, assuming you take a $100 Apple Store gift card at face value.

I do agree with you that it is easy to purchase a MBA from the Apple Store without a second thought. Just because it is easy though doesn't make it the best decision. You very well may need the extra RAM, and I am not one to judge whether you need it or not. If you do, great. If you don't, the BestBuy discount still stands either way.

Matt

23. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

This period of time, I work in Europe. I can't take advantage of this promotion. I might forget to tell you...anyway, thanks for your help! Actually, I WON'T go tomorrow and buy it....I can wait till the end of Autumn and see if a new model appears....:rolleyes: