Newbie tips for eBay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I just got my MacBook Pro and it came along with the $100 giftcard for app store, etc.
    It's pretty useless to me, so I'm trying to sell it on eBay.
    So far, I've listed it and this person just emailed me saying that if I could email the code instead. She will be paying by paypal so it's secure.

But since this is the gift card... and once I do confirmed that she has paid and I give her the code, can't she file a complaint and lie about never receiving the card and since I got no proof of tracking code.
    Will that happen?

Thanks

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

email the code and then mail the card via slowest delivery method.

Same way some sellers (used to) do mobileme subscriptions. Email for those in a hurry, then deliver the physical asset on request.

3. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Make sure you get some type of tracking number or delivery confirmation to prove you sent it out.

Countless people get burned by not doing this because they are too cheap to spend the extra 60 cents.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I agree with this. Also, be suspicious of anyone trying to pay you outside of ebay/paypal (such as an e-check through paypal, bypassing ebay).

5. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I'm getting a lot of buyers that are NOT from the USA that are asking to buy and just send the code towards their email.
    Is there a reason why there's so many international buyers? I thought I set it only to USA Nationwide only.
    Cause it's a pain to ship to towards Brazil or to China. It cost $20 to send a freaking envelop there! (14 days)

What should I do?
    Refuse them and say it's USA buyers only?
    Thanks.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Personally, That's what I'd do, as with foreign countries, it's much harder to control everything and make sure a transaction runs smoothly. My personal philosophy is that although there are certainly some very reputable foreign buyers, it's not worth risking that you could have a bad experience.

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

There are settings in eBay to restrict the countries you do business with. If you have set those up, correctly, and the bidders are still trying to bypass the filters, that's their problem. Don't make it your problem.

8. DeadSoulive macrumors newbie

EBay

You should include a message that allows international customer, only if they are willing to pay for the shipping.

How much are you selling it for?

9. Maxpilot macrumors member

How can getting $100 to use on iTunes and AppStore be useless? I would keep the card and use it to purchase more software, tunes, books, movies, etc.

10. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Cause I dont need that card to download apps or musics.
    Most softwares I can get, such as Adobe, I can get with a student discount.
    It's really just useless to me, unless i wanna buy like video games, but that's a no no.

11. DeadSoulive macrumors newbie

Yep

Agreed:apple:

12. blunti macrumors 6502a

just out of curiousity: if the buyer would do a chargeback and say there was nothing in the box/envelope etc except for some mulch or rocks, what can you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I print my shipping labels thru paypal. I'm pretty sure UPS would back me up by confirming the weight of the package.

14. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Refuse them.

In fact, I'd refuse to send the code to anyone as it possibly violates bay's listing policies and so you may not be protected from a claim:

Not Allowed: Gift card codes or electronically delivered gift cards

Ref: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/gift.html

Read ebay's Buyer Protection section carefully to cover yourself.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You could just sell it and ONLY choose to sell the actual card; but yea as someone up there stated, they don't allow that because of the obvious complications it can cause. It is also a LOT more convenient to sell everything in country; I just shipped three packages, one to Canada and two to Israel.

Not surprisingly, one of the Israel packages went to Canada and the Canadian package went to Israel. Shipping is insane.

16. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

do what the first person said... ship the card, but honestly i wouldt even play around with it.... because they could still say someone hacked there account.... and they may ask for there money back.... sell it on craigslist if you can.... and make sure the person buys it from you near a bank so you can check if its a legitmate 100 dollar billl or 20s... etc... just don't send that card over the internet what ever you do..............trust me... Thanks